Glossary of z Art Terms Ch 2 - 4
Other Decks By This User
- Define "relieving triangle"
- In a corbeled arch, the opening above the lintel that serves to lighten the weight to be carried by the lintel itself
- Define "chimera / fantastic animals"
- animals depicted as behaving like humans
- Define "beehive dome with corbeled vault"
- pointed dome created by stacking stone blocks in horizontal courses, each sticking out slightly further than the one below
- Define "lapis lazuli"
- semi-precious, azure-blue stone imported from Afghanistan... used by and for people of wealth and importance
- Define "labryinth"
- English word that derives from the intricate plan & scores of rooms of the Knossos palace. Labrys means "double ax" in Greek, which was a symbol seen throughout the palace
- Define "hierarchical society"
- A society in which there is separation into groups of people based on rank or class allowing priviledges to those in a "higher" class
- Define "pharaohs"
- ancient Egyptian kings, considered living gods
- Define "Mesopotamia"
- Area between the rivers, Tigris and Euphrates
- Define "hierarchical space"
- A building which has limited access to people based on their importance or rank in society
- Define "mumification"
- technique for embalming in order to preserve the body
- Define "registers"
- bands in a pictoral narrative
- Define "necropolis"
- Greek for "city of the dead"
- Define "hypostyle hall"
- huge room with a roof supported by many columns
- Define "fresco"
- Painting on lime plasters either dry or wet
- Define "clerestory"
- raised central section in a hypostyle hall that allowed light to filter into the interior
- Define "ka"
- life force that the Egyptians believed was with a person from birth and could inhabit the corspe upon death and live on
- Define "papyrus"
- material used by the Eyptians for writing on... as in papyrus scrolls
- Define "palette"
- a stone slab with a circular depression
- Define "heraldic composition"
- a central figure with an animal on each side
- Define "capital"
- the uppermost part of a column
- Define "closed style"
- In sculpture, no open spaces, solid & attached... gives a sense of strength and power
- Define "continuous narrative"
- In a painting or sculpture, when a figure appears more than once in the same space at different stages in a story
- Define "canon"
- rules of proportion, strictly adhered to in Egyptian art
- Define "longitudinal plan with central axis"
- The horizontal, symmetrical arrangement of a building from a central point running the length of the building
- Define "relief sculpture"
- A sculpture in which the figures are projecting from the the surface of which they are a part
- Define "stele"
- A carved, stone slab erected to commemerate an event
- Define "votive offering"
- gift of gratitude offered to a god or goddess
- Define "cuneiform"
- wedge-shaped, pictograph signs used by the Sumerians for writing
- Define "sunken relief"
- deep outlines chiseled below the stone's surface (as in sunken relief columns)
You must Login or Register to add cards