Glossary of translation
Other Decks By This User
- what direction does the RIBOSOME read mRNA?
- 5' to 3'
- what direction does the amino acid chain grow in translation?
which end are amino acids added onto?
- N-terminal to C-terminal.
add onto Carboxy terminal end.
- what catalyzes the activation of tRNA
how many are there?
- aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase
one of 20
- fmet-tRNAf whats it for
- formylated fmet-tRNA; activated transfer RNA with methionine on it, and the amino terminal blocked with formaldehyde.
- what is the shine dalgarno sequence
- a purine-rich region on the 5' end of mRNA.
3' end of 16s rRNA of 30S subunit (small) is pyrimidine rich; binds to purine rich region of mRNA with AUG at the decoding site of 30S subunit (ready for Methionine - start codon
- how many times does the cycle repeat when forming a pp chain in translation?
- n-1 times for a chain n pp long
- what does EF-Tu do?
- elongation factor Tu;
binds aminoacyl-tRNA in GTP form;
then hydrolyzes to GDP when aa-tRNA complexes and binds to A site of ribosome.
- what is Ts
- a GTP/GDP exchange factor
regenerates EF-Tu-GTP for another round of bringing aa-tRNA to A site..
- how aminoacyl tRNA synthetases recognize tRNAs
- specific interactions between the tRNA molecule and bases on the enzyme, and also interaction with the anticodon loop and the acceptor stem
- what hydrolyzes incorrect AA-tRNA pairs on threonyl tRNA synthetase
- second active site - editing site
- what subunit of the ribosome is the PTC on
- peptidyl transferase center is on the 50S subunit - where the acceptor stems bind.
You must Login or Register to add cards