Glossary of steelworker volume 2
Other Decks By This User
- what is concrete composed of?
- a mixture of cement, a fine aggregate (usually sand), a coarse aggregate(usually crushed stone or gravel) and water, all in the correct proprotions.
- when does concrete reach its initial set, harden ot its final set and attain most of its potential strength
- it attains its initial set in about 1 hr. and hardens to its final set in about 6 to 12 hrs under normal conditions; it reaches most of its potential strength after 28 days of moist curing
- are most reinforcing bars rolled from new steel billet
- yes: however, some are rolled from used railroad car axles, or from railroad rails cut into rollable shapes.
- what do the number 60 and 75 indicate in the number system used to indicate the grade in marking high strength reinforcing bars
- 60 denotes 60,000 psi bar and 75 denotes 75,000 psi bar
- when laying out guy ropes for erecting a gin pole, how long should they be
- each one should be 4 times the length of the gin pole.
- what type of block is the most convinent for lashing to the gin pole about 2 feet from the base of the pole, to serve as a leading block on the fall line allowing for a directional change of pull from vertical to horizontal
- a snatch block
- what is a block
- a mechanical device consisting of one or more sheaves that are fitted within a wooden or metallic frame, supported by a shackle inserted into the strap of the block.
- what is a tackle
- An assemblage of blocks and line which are employed to gain a mechanical advantage in lifting and/or pulling.
- what are simple and compound tackle systems
- a simple tackle is an assembly of block in which a single line is used, whereas a compound tackle system is an assembly of blocks in which more than one line is used.
- what is a sheave
- a round grooved wheel over which the line runs in a block.
- what is a becket
- a metal loop formed at one or both ends of a block to which the standing part of the line is fastened.
- what is a swallow
- the opening in a block through which the line passes
- what is a standing block
- a block that is connected to a fixed object.
- what is a fall
- the fall is either a wire rope or fiber line reeved thorugh a pair of blocks to form a tackle.
- what is a runner
- a single sheave moveable block that is free to move along the line for which it is rove.
You must Login or Register to add cards