Glossary of science and inventions 1
Other Decks By This User
- Strip electrons from an atom and the atom becomes
- positive ion
- To say that electric charge is conserved means that no case has ever been found where the
- net charge has been created or destroyed
- A conductor differs from an insulator in that a conductor
- has none of these:
has more electrons than protons.
has more protons than electrons.
has faster moving molecules.
has more energy than an insulator.
- Charge carriers in a metal are electrons rather than protons because electrons are
- loosely bound
- Electrons are made to flow in a wire when there is
- a potential difference across its ends.
- A wire that carries an electric current
- may be electrically charged.
- which is correct?
a.Resistance flows though an open circuit.
b. Charge flows in a closed circuit.
c.Current is the primary cause of voltage.
d. Voltage flows through an open or a closed circuit.
- b. Charge flows in a closed circuit.
- A wire carrying a current is normally charged
- not at all
- The primary source of electrons in an ordinary electrical circuit is
- the electrical circuit itself.
- Alternating current is normally produced by a
- In a simple circuit containing a bulb, energy is given to the moving charges by
- a generator
- A positive ion has more
- protons than electrons.
- Moving electric charges will interact with
- an electric field or a magnetic field.
- Like kinds of magnetic poles repel while unlike kinds of magnetic poles
- An iron nail is more strongly attracted to the
- north or south pole - no difference really.
- Magnetic field lines about a current-carrying wire
- circle the wire in closed loops.
- if we think of the Earth as a magnet, its north (-seeking) pole is nearest
- Which pole of a compass needle points to a south pole of a magnet?
- north pole
- Outside a magnet, magnetic field lines are conventionally drawn from
- north to south
- When a bar magnet is broken in two, each half is
- as magnetic as the original magnet.
- Thrust a magnet into a coil of wire and the coil
- has a current in it
- in an electrically neutral atom the number of protons in the nucleus is equal to the number of
- electrons that surround the nucleus.
- to say that electric charge is quantized is to say that the charge on an object
- is a whole-number multiple of the charge of one electron
- To say that electric charge is conserved is to say that electric charge
- can be neither created nor destroyed.
- Rub electrons from your hair with a comb and the comb becomes
- negatively charged.
- An electron and a proton
- attract each other.
- If you comb your hair and the comb becomes positively charged, then your hair become
- negatively charged.
- A balloon will stick to a wooden wall if the balloon is charged
- either positively or negatively.
- The magnetic field strength inside a current-carrying coil will be greater if the coil encloses a
- rod of iron
- A device that transforms electrical energy to mechanical energy is a
- When a bar magnet is thrust into a coil of copper wire, the coil tends to
- repel the magnet as it enters.
- A device that transforms mechanical energy into electrical energy is a
- Electromagnetic induction occurs in a coil when there is a change in
- magnetic field intensity in the coil.
You must Login or Register to add cards