Glossary of psychology quiz 2
Other Decks By This User
- signals to stop eating
- high levels of glucose in blood, high levels of the hormone leptin, distension of stomch, external food cues.
- the externality hypothesis
- obese people are comparitively unresponsive to their own internal hunger state but are much more susceptible to signals from without.
- external hypothesis:
In normal controls:
- people's assessment of how hungry theey are depends on time since last meal, but not in obese people.
- dieting to lose weight can cause:
- a decline in basal metabolism (rate at which energy is burned up)
- primary ways to lose weight
- excersice, eat low fat
- average american in the last 40 years:
- gained 1 inch in height
gained 23 pounds
- below 15% ideal body weight
(not whether you binge and purge, because that's 50/50)
- fatality rate of anorexia
- 15-20%: highest of all psychiatric disorders
- binge eating men:
- binge eating disorder:
- 50% of obese binge eaters are depressed
You must Login or Register to add cards