Glossary of psych test 1 2
Other Decks By This User
- What is ID ?
- The id is the locus of instinctual drives. The wants and needs we are born with. Id driven behaviors are impulsive.
- What is Ego?
- the rational self the ego experiences the reality of the external world and adapts to it, and responds to it.
- What is superego?
- The perfection principle. internalizes the values and morals set forth by primary caregivers. Derived out of a system of rewards and punishments.
Ex: when a child is punished for bad behavior and rewarded for good behavior.
- What is the imporance of models?
- Different way of looking at things. No wrong answer.
- List 7 defense Mechanisms
- denial,displacement,projection,repression,suppression,sublimitation, intellectualization.
- What is denial?
- The refusal to acknowledge the exsistence of a real situation or the feelings associated with it.
- What is displacement?
- the transferring of feelings from one target to another that is considered less threatening or neutral.
- What is intellectualization?
- the attempt to avoid expressing actual emotions associated with a stressfull situation by using the intellectual processes of logic,reasoning, and analysis.
- list the 3 major components that Freud organized the structure of personality into.
- What is projection?
- the attribution of feelings or impulses unacceptable to one's self to another person. "passing the blame"
- What is repression?
- the involuntary blocking of unpleasant feelings and experiences from one's awareness.
- What is suppression?
- the voluntary blocking of unpleasant feelings and experiences from ones awareness.
- What is sublimitation?
- the rechanneling of drives or impulses that are personally or socially unacceptable.. (aggressiveness,anger) into activities that are more tolerable and constructive.
You must Login or Register to add cards