Glossary of paleoart
Other Decks By This User
- What are the dates and time periods starting from the Chatelperronian?
- -Chatelperronian 40-30
- Characteristics of the Chatelperronian
-Neandertals and personal adornments
-ornaments a result of taphonomy/scavenging
- -new stone, bone, antler techninques
- Talk about Chauvet
- -Panel or horses
-Great Horse Panel
- Talk about personal adornments in Aurignacian
- -perforated heyna, human, canid, cervid teeth
- Gravettian - trends?
- -more geometric signs
-animal subjects dominate
-hand prints (Gargas)
-human sculptures (preg females)
(woman w/ Horn, playing card, la dame a la capuche)
- List Gravettian painted caves
- What is Pech Merle famous for?
- Dappled Horse Panel
- Talk about Solutrean
-human figs. rare
- Solutrean personal ornaments
- pierced teeth, shells, beads
- Give an ex. of a famous Solutrean cave
- Cosquer 1991 by Henri Cosquer
large number of hand prints
also jelly fish and awk
- Magdalenian trends
- -300 painted cave sites
-10,000 portable artifacts
-lots of geometric signs
- Where are most of the Magdalenian portable artifacts found?
- 90 % found in France
- Ex. of painted caves in Magdalenian
- There are only three polychrome painted caves in all of UP - name them
- What is Lascaux like?
- -600 paintings
paintings along ceilings
- What are the three categories of Past Interpretation according to Villaneuve?
- Hypothesis for individual vs. group?
- -viewing considerations
-technincal aspects of cave
- Talk about imagery in Eastern and Central Europe and Siberia?
- -larger area, more diverse
-lots of images made of loess
- Talk about Mousterian site Tata
- -Tata pebble
- Give an ex. of a Mousterian site
- Bach Kiro
- -45 kya
-Scratches = patterns?
- earliest UP in East Europe?
-Gravettian - 28-21
-Magdalenian - 21-10
-37 fox canines perforated
- Gravettian in E. Europe?
-Dolni Vestonice and Pavlov
- Brno II
-head covering, 3 pieces, 600 shells
- 125 km apart from one another
-fig. buried in semi-subterranean dwellings with burnt bone on top
- -birthing house or artisans house?
- 25-22 kya
-3 burials: one old man, 2 juv.
-13,000 ivory beads
-some say male from a diff. period
-interlocking beads, pendants
- When was the L.G. Maximum?
- -20-17 kya
- What is the key subject in Magdalenian/Epigravettian in E. Europe?
- -Like W. Europe, animals
- -mammoth bone shelters
-pattern shows up in their art
- -30 human statues
-17 bird statuettes
-facial details, hairstyles
- Australia - 30 kya, 13 kya, 6-9, and 6 kya
- 30- lake mungo site
13- 2 peoplings?
6-9 kow swamp burials
6 one ppl
- What does Janet Deacon argue?
- Direct Historical approach - can understand modern ppl by looking at ancestors
- What are the 2 styles of finger markings in Australia?
- -Koonalda and Panaramitee
- What does Davidson argue?
- peopling of australia best ex. of language
- -sea levels lower
-25 kya paintings
- Estuarine period
- 6-1.5 kya
-sea levels rose, some animals became extinct (emu, tapir)
- South Africa
- 30,000 sites
-most predate 10 kya
-ancestors of San
- South africa
perforated tick shells
- Subjects of rep in south africa
- animals, humans, therianthrops, few carnivores if any, geometrics, chevrons, cross hatches
You must Login or Register to add cards