Glossary of mycology intro
Other Decks By This User
- what type of flask is used for growing mold/yeasts?
- what are the four types of culture media for mycology?
- -Sab Dex
-Brain Heart Infusion
-BHI/CC, Mycosel, Mycobiotic
- What is special about Sabex?
- prevents bacterial contamination of mycologic growth; pH = 5.6 inhibits bacteria.
- What is BHI?
- Brain heart infusion agar
-an enriched medium that doesn't inhibit bacteria.
- What is BHI/CC? 2 brand names?
- BHI with
-chloramphenicol to inhib. bugs
-cycloheximide to inhib. fungal contaminants.
- what is potato dextrose agar for?
- a secondary media for sporulation and better identification of mold/fungi that ALREADY GREW on another medium
- at what temps do yeast grow best?
what other temps CAN they grow?
- 37 degrees
- at what temps do molds grow best?
- only 25-30; 37 inhibits them
- how many weeks should you grow a fungi before calling it neg?
- 4 weeks
- do you observe macroscop. morph the same way for molds and yeasts?
- almost, but not quite.
Yeast don't have mycelium (aerial or vegetative)
- what 5 characteristics do you look for in yeast, macroscop?
what texture do they tend to be?
-Tend to be waxy/glaborous
- what are common characteristics of yeast then? (5)
- Pasty, round, convex, white-off-white, bread/brewery odor, waxy/glaborous
- what about fungi makes staining difficult?
- chitin in their cell wall - they appear clear then.
- what type of staining is done for fungi?
- LPCB prep
- what is LPCB, purpose of each component?
- Lactol Phenol Cotton Blue stain
-Lactic acid clears fungus for better visibility
-Phenol kills the fungus
-Cotton blue stains the fungus
- 4 types of Mold Preps:
- what are 3 types of direct preps for MOLDS?
- 1. saline - a wet mount but its clear b/c fungi don't stain.
2. LPCB - most common.
3. KOH - clears keratin away in nail and hair preps.
- What are pseudohyphae, and what are they seen in?
- look like long filaments of hyphae in YEASTS, but just elongated yeast cells
- what types of spores are seen in yeast?
- what types of spores are seen in molds?
You must Login or Register to add cards