Glossary of mibrobio 2nd exam
Other Decks By This User
- why do cells need macro and micro nutrients?
- to carry out metabolism
(macronutrients are used to build cell constituents and some are involved in protein. micronutients only needed in small amounts but are critical ex. coenzymes)
- name some macronutrients and some micro nutrients
- macronutrients - P,O,N,K,C,Ca,Na,Mg
micronutrients - B,Cr,Co,Cu,Fe,Mn,Mo,Ni,Se,Zn
- what do you need to do to grow microbes in lab?
- you need to provide the microogranisms w/ conditions that allow growth. macro + micro nutrients provided in media.
you also can add nutrients and vitamins or cofactors that synthesized by that microbe. If the mibrobe is not an autotroph then you have to add carbon source
- name the 2 types of media
- defined and complex
- define a defined media
- everything in the media and amount of everything is known.
recipe ex. 1g NaCO3
.003g Na molybdase
- define a complex media
- when you dont know exactly what in the media
recipe ex. 1 liter dH2O
1gm yeast extract
- what is agar usually made of?
- name properties of agar
- melts at 100degrees celsius
solidifies at 45 degrees celsius
- how do microbes grow?
- by binary fission
- what is the generation time?
- the 'doubling time', the time it takes for binary fission to occur
You must Login or Register to add cards