Glossary of mental health - mood disorders, suicide (hs)
Other Decks By This User
- -lack of energy, loss of pleasure in once pleasurable activities
-avg. affect and activity
- How long does a major depressive disorder last?
- At least two weeks. All pleasure, or almost all is lost.
- True, false. Persons with hypomania are not "impaired". In fact, they can be quite creative and productive.
- True. manic episodes, or mania , do interfere with a persons life and productivity.
- What are the major categories of antidepressants?
- Antidepressants should be ___ before discontinuing.
- What are three problems with cyclics?
- long half life
toxic in those with liver impairement , MI, or taking MAOI's.
Cyclics are rarely given to geriatrics due to these and other side effects.
- What is a hypertonic crisis?
- What occurs when someone taking a MAOI ingests tyramine. CAn be fatal.
- What is the first priority in dealing with a depressed patient?
- Determine if they are suicidal.
- What is a tip in offering food for a depressed patient with no appetite?
- Frequently offer food in small amounts and offer to sit with the patient. A large meal offered can be overwhelming.
- T/F. Risk for suicide is high after a person starts taking antidepressants.
- true. the pts energy level is increased by the meds.
- T/F What is the better choice food for someone who is in a manic phase? Spaghetti or finger foods?
- Finger foods, or things one can eat while moving around is the best option. These foods should also be high in protein and calories.
- What is important for clients taking lithium to be aware of?
- They need adequate salt and water intake and they need to seek medical care if they experience vomiting or diarrhea. (due to toxicity issues)
- Suicide, at times, may appear to be an ___
- What role does the nurse use when dealing with a suicidal patient?
- authoritative. let them know their safety is the primary concern.
- Which antidepressants have the lowest side effects?
- What is the serum lithium level for maintenance and safety?
- .5-1.5 meq/l
You must Login or Register to add cards