Glossary of mental health- anxiety (HS)
Other Decks By This User
- How is anxiety distinguished from fear?
- fear is feeling afraid or threatened by a clearly identifiable, external stimulus that represents a danger to the person.
- When is anxiety considered normal?
- when it is appropriate to the situation and when it dissipates when the situation has been resolved.
- Seyle's General Adaptive Syndrome
- alarm reaction stage
- An example of an adaptive behavior when dealing with stress and a negative, or maladaptive behavior when dealing with stress
- adaptive- deep breathing
- When is teaching most affective?
- when client is mildly anxious.
- True or false. The nurse should remain with a client that has high levels of anxiety.
- True. Especially during severe and panic anxiety as the clients safety should be monitored.
- What is a problem with Benzodiazepines?
- They can be habit forming, therefore should not be used for more than about 6 weeks.
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- at least six mos. of persistent and excessive worry and anxiety.
- believed to be dysfunctional in pts. with anxiety disorder. GABA is the body's natural anti anxiety agent.
- increases anxiety.
- usually implicatd in psychosis and mood disorders.
- Xanax is a ___
Prozac is a ___
Paxil is a __
- What is the nurses first concern during a clients panic attack?
- keeping the client safe. It's a good idea to move the client to a non threatening quiet environment if necessary.
- How should communication be when speaking to a person with panic disorder/anxiety?
- simple and calm. the client with anxiety cannot take in too much at a time.
- Obsessions vs compulsions
- obsessions- persistent and intrusive thoughts. they interfere with an individuals life.
compulsions- the actual act that is carried out in order to attempt to neutralize the anxiety.
- optimal treatment for ocd includes
- medication and behavioral therapy
- Why is it important for the client to discuss what he is experiencing with the nurse?
- They often try and hide their disorder, due to embarrassment, etc. This is a heavy burden to the pt.
- The nurse is going to teach the anxious client relaxation techniques. When is the best time to do this?
- when the pts. anxiety is low, so she can learn more effectively.
- To manage anxiety and ritualistic behaviors, a ____ is necessary
- baseline of frequency and duration
You must Login or Register to add cards