Glossary of chemistry unit two part two vocabulary
Other Decks By This User
- The shortest distance between equivalent points on a continuous wave; is usually expressed in meters, centimeters, or nanometers.
- the number of waves that pass a given point per second
- includes all forms of electromagnetic radiation, with the only differences in the types of radiation being their frequencies and wavelengths.
- Electromagnetic spectrum
- a phenomenon in which photoelectrons are emitted from a metal surface when light of a certain frequency shines on the surface.
- Photoelectric effect
- the lowest allowable energy state of an atom
- Ground state
- the electrons in an atoms outermost orbital’s; determine the chemical properties of an element.
- Valence electron
- a model that uses electron-dot structures to show how electrons are arranged in molecules. Pairs of dots or lines represent bonding pairs.
- Lewis dot structure
- an extremely unreactive group 8A element.
- Noble gas electron
- states that single electrons with the same spin must occupy each equal-energy orbital before additional electrons with opposite spins can occupy the same orbitals.
- Hund’s rule
- states that a maximum of two electrons may occupy a single atomic orbital, but only if the electrons have opposite spins.
- Pauli exclusion principle
You must Login or Register to add cards