Glossary of chemistry unit one part one vocabulary
Other Decks By This User
- A systematic approach used in scientific study that typically includes observation, a hypothesis, experiments, data analysis, and a conclusion.
- scientific method
- Information describing color, odor, shape, or some other physical characteristic.
- qualitative data
- Numerical information describing how much, how little, how big, how tall, how fast, etc.
- quantitative data
- A tentative, tesatable statement or prediction about what has been observed.
- A set of controlled obervations that test the hypothesis.
- In an experiement, the variable that the experimenter plans to change.
- independent variable
- In an experiment, the variable whose value depends on the independent variable.
- dependent variable
- In an experiment, the standard that is used for comparison.
- control variable
- A judgement based on the information obtained.
- An explanation supported by many experiments; is still subject to new experimental data, can be modified, and is considered successful if it can be used to make predictions that are true.
- Describes a relationship in nature that is supported by many experiments.
- scientific law
- Expresses numbers as a multiple of two factors - a number between 1 and 10, and 10 raised to a power, or exponent; makes it easier to handle extremely large or small measurements.
- scientific notation
- A ratio of equivalent values used to express the same quantity in different units; is always equal to 1 and changes the units of a quantity without changing its value.
- conversion factor
- A problem-solving method that focuses on the units that are used to describe matter.
- dimensional analysis (FLM)
You must Login or Register to add cards