Glossary of chem lab 1 quiz
Other Decks By This User
- the study of matter and the transformation it undergoes
- anything that occupies space and has mass
- rigid shape, fixed volume. external shape reflects atomic and molecular arrangement
- no fixed shape, may not fill a container completely
- expand to fill container, good theoretical understanding
- what we can see
- what we cannot see
- chemical elements
- pure substances that cannot be decomposed by ordinary means to other substances.
- smallest particle of an element that has its chemical properties. it consists of a nucleus (protons and nuetrons) and electrons in space about the nucleus.
- smallest unit of a compound that retains the chemical characteristics of the compound.
- kinetic nature
- how fast particles move in space.
- when elements form a bond. elements form compounds.
- when elements coexist but dont form a bond.
- physical properties
- color, melting and boiling point, density, and odor
- a physical property; D=m/v; it is an intensive property of matter; depends on temp; it depends on the temperature of the smaple, usually the volume inc when the temp inc which dec the density.
- intensive property
- does not depend on quantity of matter: density, temp
- extensive property
- depends on quantity of matter: mass, volume
- physical changes
- the changes in physical properties. the identity of the substance is preserved.
- chemical change/ chemical reaction
- transformation of one or more atoms or molecules into one or more different molecules
- observations of rxns based on color and physical state
- measurements which involve numbers
- SI units
- (based on metric system) temp, length, mass, and time
- fahrenheit b/f pt.
- boling 212*F
- celsius b/f pt.
- boiling 100*C
- kelvin b/f pt.
- boiling 373*K
- kelvin formula
- K= C+273
- Celcius formula
- C= K-273
- Fahrenheit formula
- F= (1.8)(C)+32
- determinate error
- caused by faulty instruments and/or human error
- indeterminate error
- inknown cause and cannot be controlled by the scientist.
- expt. detd. value - accepted value
- percent error=
- (error)/(accepted value)x 100
You must Login or Register to add cards