Glossary of chem 152 Exam I
Other Decks By This User
- Difference bewteen Solubility, molar solubility & solubilit product expression
- Solubility of a compound
- = amount of compound that dissolves in a specified volume of solution., usu expressed as grams/liter
- molar solubility
- = no. moles tha tdissolve to give 1 ltier of saturated solution
- solubility product expression
- product of hte concentrations of its constitudent ions, each raised to the power corresponding to the numbe of ions in 1 formula unit of the compound, or the coefficients
- Most reactions occur in a seris of steps. Exaplin elementary steps
- an individual step in the mechansim by which a reaction occurs, for each elem step, the reactio norders match the reactant coefficients in that step
- Find reaction orders for any single elementary step
- = the coefficients for that step
- Example of an "experimentally determined rate-law expression for aA + bB --> cC + dD
- rate = k[A] (x) [B] (y)
-BUT the values of x and y are related to the coefficnets of hte reactants in the slowest step.
- Verbally explain r = k[NO(2)] (2)
- a reacction of nitrogen dioxide and carbone monoxide is found to be second order with respect to NO (@) and 0 order wrt to CO.
- Explain reaction in terms of molecules
- if experimentally determined orders do not match the coefficents in the overall balance equation, then the reaction does not take place in 1 step. Usually, rate-detemrining step of the mechani involves a bimolecular collision between two ___ molecules. This is consistent with the rate expression.
- Criteria for plausible meachnism
- 1) steps add to give equation for overall reacation
2) mechanism is consistnt with experiemntlaly detemrined rate-law expression (must match slowest step)
You must Login or Register to add cards