Glossary of ch.8 medical terminology vocabulary
Other Decks By This User
- accessory part of the uterus; the fallopian tubes and ovaries.
- innermost membrane around the developing embryo.
- dark-pigmented area around the breast nipple.
- bartholin glands
- small exocrine glands at the vaginal orifice.
- lower, neck-like portion of the uterus.
- outermost layer of the two membranes surrounding the embryo; it is part of the placenta.
- organ of sensitive erectile tissue anterior to the urinary meatus.
- sexual intercourse.
- corpus luteum
- empty graafian follicle that secretes estrogen and progesterone after relase of the egg cell;literally means yellow body.
- region within the pelvis, midway between the rectum and the uterus.
- stage in development from fertilization of the ovum through the 2nd month of pregnancy.
- the inner mucous membrane lining the uterus.
- hormone produced by the ovaries; responsible for felmale secondary sex characteristics and buildup of the uterine lining during the mentrual cycle.
- fallopian tubes
- ducts through which the egg travels into the uterus.
- union of the sperm and ovum.
- the embryo from the 3rd month to birth.
- finger-like ends of the fallopian tubes.
- follicle-stimulating hormone
- hormone produced by the pituitary gland; stimulates maturation of the ovum.
- sex cell; sperm or ovum.
- reproductive organs; also called genitals.
- organs in the male and female that produce gametes; ovaries and testes.
- graafian follicle
- developing sac enclosing each ovum within the ovary. only about 400 of these sacs mature in a woman's life time.
- human chorionic gonadotropin
- hormone produced by the placenta
to subtain pregnancy by stimulating the mother's ovaries to produce estrogen and progesterone.
- mucous membrane partially or completely covering the vaginal orifice.
- lips of the vagina; labia majora are the larger, outermost lips, and the labia minora are the smaller innermost lips.
- lactiferous ducts
- tubes that carry milk within the breast.
- luteinizing hormone
- hormone produced by the pituitary gland; promotes ovulation.
- the beginning of the first menstrual period during puberty.
- the gradual ending of menstrual function; climacteric.
- the monthly shedding of the uterine lining; menses means month.
- the muscule layer lining the uterus.
- an opening.
- organs in the female lower abdomen that produce ova and hormones; female gonads. the ovaries are almond-shaped and about the size of a large walnuts.
- release of the ovum from the ovary.
- egg cell; female gamete.
- a small nipple-shaped projection or elevation. the mammary papilla is the nipple of the breast.
- act of giving brith.
- in females, the area between the anus and the vagina.
- vascular organ that develops during pregnancy in the uterine wall and serves as a communication between the maternal and the fetal bloodstreams.
- hormone produced by the corpus luteum in the ovary and the placenta of a pregnant woman. progesterone means hormone for pregnancy.
- beginning of the fertile period when gametes are produced and secondary sex characteristics appear.
- uterine serosa
- outermost layer surrounding the uterus.
- womb; muscular organ in which the embryo develops. the upper portion is the fundus; the middle is the corpus; and the lower neck portion is the cervix.
- a tube extending from the uterus to the exterior of the body.
- external genitalia of the female; includes the labia, hymen, and clitoris.
You must Login or Register to add cards