Glossary of ch.8 medical terminology pathology
Other Decks By This User
- carcinoma of the cervix
- malignant cells within the cervix
pap smears give important diagnostic information because CIN(cervical intra-epithelial neoplasia) may be curable with resection.
- inflammation of the cervix;
this condition can be chronic because the lining of the cervix is not renewed each month as is the uterine lining during menstruation.
- carcinoma of the endometrium
- malignant tumournof the uterus(inner lining)
- endometrial tissue is found in abnormal locations, including the ovaries, fallopian tubes, supporting ligaments, or small intestine.
- benign tumors in the uterus;
fibroids are also called leiomyomata or leiomyomas, are composed of fibrous tissue and muscle.
- ovarian carcinoma
- malignant tumor of the ovary(adenocarcinoma)
- ovarian cysts
- collection of fluid within a sac in the ovary.
- pelvic inflammatory diease
- inflammation in the pelvis region; salpingitis
- carcinoma of the breast
- malignant tumor of the breast
(arising from milk glands and ducts)
- fibrocystic diease
- small sac of tissue and fluid in the breast.
- abruptio placentae
- premature separation of the implanted placenta.
- malignant tumor of the pregnant uterus.
- ectopic pregnancy
- implantation of the fertilized egg in any site other than the normal uterine location.
- placenta previa
- placental inplantation over the cervical opening or in the lower region of the uterine wall.
- a condition that occurs during pregnancy or shortly after and is marked by high blood pressure, proteinuria, and edema. If seizures occur, the condition is known as eclampsia or toxemia.
- down syndrome
- chromosomal abnormality results in mental retardation, retarded growth, a flat face with a short nose, low-set ears and slanted eyes.
- erythroblastosis fetalis
- hemolytic diease in the newborn caused by a bood group(Rh factor) incompatibility between the mother and the fetus.
- hyaline membrane diease
- respiratory problem primarily in the premature neonate; lack of protein in the lining of the lung tissue causes collapse of the lungs.
- accumulation of fluid in the spaces of the brain.
You must Login or Register to add cards