Glossary of capitalization
Other Decks By This User
- The laws of Judaism are also known as the Judaic laws.
the first and last words and all important words in titles and subtitles.
- Sports Illustrated for Kids is my favorite magazine.
the names of nationalities, races, and peoples.
- The Cherokee Indians lived in America long before anyone else.
proper nouns. (Particular places, peoples, things, or ideas)
- When we get to New York, we are going to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
the first word of a direct quote
- Caleb asked, "Are we about to eat lunch?"
- Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the NAACP.
the names of special events, holidays, and calendar items.
- The Super Bowl was played on a Sunday afternoon in January.
the names of monuments, memorials, and awards.
- While visiting Washington D.C., be sure to visit the Lincoln Memorial.
geographical names. (continents, countries, states, cities, islands, bodies of water, forests, rivers, mountains)
- While visiting Galveston, my family and I saw the Gulf of Mexico.
the names of buildings and other structures.
- The Astrodome was replaced by Enron Field.
the names of planets, stars, constellations, and other heavenly bodies.
- The planet Mars is very far away from Earth.
the names of ships, trains, aircraft, and spacecraft.
- Air Force One carries President George Bush around the world.
the names of organizations, teams, institutions, and government bodies.
- The Department of Education said that the Texas Rangers could visit our Sports Club at school.
the names of persons and animals.
- My dog, Rover, enjoys it when we go to the park.
the names of historical events and periods.
- The Boston Tea Party is a significant event in American history.
the names of religions and their followers, holy days and celebrations, sacred writings, and specific deities.
- Christians celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus.
the pronoun I.
- When I get back home, I am going to read a book.
the first word in every sentence.
- My mother is going to take me to the store.
- Principal Williams is the president of our club.
Did my Aunt Betsy come to visit me?
the names of businesses and the brand names of business products.
- The Ford Motor Company produces the Ford Ranger truck.
the first word in both the salutation and the closing of a letter.
- Salutations: Dear Mrs. Jones,
My dearest Mom,
You must Login or Register to add cards