Glossary of body systems test
Other Decks By This User
- what are the four types of tissue?
- epithelial, nervous, connective, muscle
- describe the epithelial tissue
- covers body surfaces, lines cavities, protection
- describe the connective tissue
- frameworks of body, support, store energy, transport
- describe the nervous tissue
- controls integrationa nd response to stimuli
- describe the muscle tissue
- responsible for body movement, contraction and movement
- what are the levels of organization from tissue through organism?
- organism-organ system-organ-tissue-cell
- what is negative feedback?
- when a change in a variable triggers the control circuit to counteract further change
- what is positive feedback?
- a change in a variable that triggers mechanisms that amplify rahter thatn reverse the change
- what is the difference between endothermic and exothermic animals?
- endotherms use energy created by metabloism. extotherms do not create enough energy to create intense activity
- what is oxytocin?
- a hormone that stimulates contraction of uterus and mammary gland cells
- what is ADH?
- antidiuretic hormone, promotes retention of water by kidneys
- what is FSH?
- follicle-stimulating hormone, stimulates production of ova and sperm
- what is LH?
- lutcinizing hormone, sitmulates ovaries and testes which then uses FSH to stimulate the production of hormones
- what is insulin?
- lowers blood glucose level
- what is glucagon?
- raises blood glucose levels
- what are androgens?
- steriods, support sperm formation, promote development and maintenance of male secondary sex characteristics
- what is estrogen?
- steriod, stimulate uterine lining growth, promote development and maintenance of female secondary sex characteristics
- describe the protein-receptor signaling process
- -hormone binds to cell memrane receptor
-triggers multi-step signal-transduction pathway
-initiates cellular response
You must Login or Register to add cards