Glossary of biolab
Other Decks By This User
- Are endotoxins secreted from cells?
- Are endotoxins used as antigens in vaccines?
- no, they don't produce protective immune response
- Are exotoxins heat stable?
- no, destroyed rapidly at 60C (exception: Staphylococcal enterotoxin)
- Are exotoxins secreted from cells?
- Are exotoxins used as antigens in vaccines?
- Yes, TOXOIDS are used as vaccines
- Describe the chemical composition of peptidoglycan.
- Sugar backbone with cross-linked peptide side chains.
- Describe the major components of a G- cell wall.
- inner and outer lipid bilayer membranes - thin layer of peptidoglycan - periplasmic space - contains lipopolysaccharide, lipoprotein and phospholipid
- Describe the major components of a G+ cell wall.
- one lipid bilayer membrane - thick layer of peptidoglycan - contains teichoic acid
- Describe the process of conjugation.
- DNA transfer from one bacterium to another.
- Describe the process of transduction.
- DNA transfer by a virus from one cell to another
You must Login or Register to add cards