Glossary of art for eternity-gombrich
Other Decks By This User
- grombich uses a phrase which distingishes the links between primitive art and todays art,and from egyptian art and todays art.what is that phrase?
- "the story of art as continuous effort"-there is no such continuity with primitive art
- what is the essential link between egyptian art and western art
- "the greek masters went to school with the egyptians and we are all pupils of the greeks"
- what was the key task of emblaming and sculptures within the pyramid tombs?
- to keep the soul of the subject alive.By preserving the body and the image the soul of the king or noble was preserved for the journey to the beyond.
- why would you not use the word" ädorned" for the decorations on the inside of tombs?
- because they were never meant to be seen.
- what is the egyptian word for sculptor?
- "he who keeps alive"
- what is the main characteristic of egyptian painting?
- geometric regularity
- if the purpose of the art was to preserve the soul through the preservation of the image-how did this effect the nature of the art?
- the painting showed everything-it was never painted from an angle that concealed or ditorted a part.
- how does egyptian art resemble and differ from a certain (which?) art which is familiar to us?
- like childrens art it is flat but unlike children they painted according to strict rules?
- what were the rules for
top of body
important people in group
- face in profile
eye in full in profile
body to front arms and joint visible
feet-both seen from inside
important people bigger
- egyptian art rule for seated statue
- hands on knees
- rule for men/women
- men darker skin
- rule for sun god
- falcons head
- rule for god of death
- shown with jackals head (anubis)
- what was effect of rigid rules of art in egypt
- egyptian art changed little in 3000 years-with one exception
- who was the maverick?
- amenophis 4-18th dynasty-akhnaton (ack-ack)
- what was the key aspect of akhnatons belief
- aton the sun god represented in the shape of the sun
- where does tutunkhamen fit in
- he was ahknatons successor
- how does tutunkhamens art fit in
- it followed the new ackhnatons style but soon afterwards the conservatives won and the old style and beliefs were restored for 1000 years
- what other national source of art coincided with akhnatons time
- minoan culture in crete
- why is there less mesopotamian art that survived
- they had different religious beliefs to the egyptians so the tomb art that enriched egypt were not present.
You must Login or Register to add cards