Glossary of World geography Chapter 8
Other Decks By This User
- Given the number of babies born per hour, how many are born in one week?
- 1,680,000 Babies are born per week
- The movement and processing of information indicates what economic activity?
- Quarternary industries
- What industries provide services to primary and secondary industries?
- Tertiary industries (service industries)
- What is the total value of goods and services produced by a country in a year both inside and outside the country?
- gross national product
- A dairy taking raw milk and processing it into products such as ice cream and butter is an example of what economic activity?
- Secondary industry
- This includes only those goods and services produced within a country and does not include income earned outside that country.
- gross domestic product
- How do you find GDP per capita?
- by dividing the gross domestic product by the number of people in that country.
- What does the literacy rate of a country often say about the economic development of that country?
- Usually the literacy rate is very low in developing countries and higher in developed countries
- What is defined as the ability to read and write?
- This includes roads, bridges, transportation facilities and government buildings
- Approximately what percentage of the worlds people go to bed hungry?
- Agriculture, forestry and mining are examples of what economic activity?
- Primary industries
- Developed countries
- United States
- What economic activity directly uses natural resources and raw materials are are found near sources of these materials?
- Primary industries
- Should developed countries help developing countries?
- Read and take a stand on this issue. Pg. 81
- Name 8 characteristics of a developing country
- 1 people live by subsistence farming
2 few manufacturing & service
3 poverty & unemployment are wide
4. health services are limited
5 schools are crowded
6 telecommunications not found outside
7 very little exporting of agricultural
8 many city dwellers are underemployed
- Based on the pie chart can you describe another general factor that may contribute to a country's population growth?
- Production of food
Cost of living
- What is a middle income country?
- countries that are in between developed and developing countries
- Give three examples of middle income countries
- Argentina, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, Hungary, South Korea, Malaysia
- What will happen to a country's population if it has more immigrants(someone who moves into a country) than emigrants (someone who moves out of the country)?
- The population will increase
- Someone who moves out of a country is called ?
- an emigrant
- Someone who moves into a country is called?
- an immigrant
- What are multinational companies sometimes criticized for?
- harming the natural environment or changing the cultures of developing countries
- What are the two important characteristics that the world's economically developed countries share?
- economic system guided by free enterprise
- What are the three stages of population growth?
1) birthrate and deathrate are high
2) birthrate stays high, deathrate
goes down. Family size grows
3) birthrate drops and both death
and birth rate become about
- What will happen to a country if the birthrate exceeds its deathrate?
- The country will become over populated
- What are the four categories of
- Primary industries
- Under what type of economy do consumers determine what is to be bought or sold by buying or not buying certain goods and services?
- Market economy
- At the present world population growth, what do demographers predict the population might reach this century?
- That it will be more than10 billion
- In this type of economy, the government determines wages, the kinds and amounts of goods produced, and the prices of goods
- Command economies
- What economic and political system in which the government owns or controls almost all of the means of production?
- What was the population at the end of the last ice age?
- 10 million people
- What was the population of the world 2000 years ago?
- 250 million
- What is the study of the variations and changes in a populations makeup, distribution, movement and relation to its environment?
- Population geography
- What is the branch of geography that concerns itself with how people use Earth's resources, how they earn a living and how products are distributed.
- economic geography
- What two factors contributed to the increase in population over the last 2000 years?
- Modern health practices and
increased food supplies
- Why do some places in the world have fewer people living there?
- Harsh climates
Difficult to farm
- A countries economic level says _____ about its cultural values and contributions.
- Can you predict what the US population will look like in the year 2020?
- The population will show a larger percentage of people between the ages of 50-70 years old
- Examples of this industry are stores, restaurants, banking, insurance and transportation
- Tertiary industries
- In this economic system resources, industries and businesses are owned by private individuals
- Name at least six ways of measuring a country's economic development
gross national product
gros domestic product
- What is the study of the human population that emphasizes statistical characteristics or facts and figures?
- Under what economic system, prices are determined mostly through competition in which buyers and sellers are free to choose what and when to sell and buy?
- Free enterprise
- What are the four areas in the world of dense human settlement?
- Eastern Europe (China)
South Asia (India and Bangladesh)
- What economic activity takes good made in primary industries and changes good into products that are useful to consumers and involves manufacturing?
- Secondary industry
- What is the difference between GDP and GNP?
- GDP is gross domestic product (only those goods produced within a country)
GNP is gross national product (total value of goods produced in and outside a country)
You must Login or Register to add cards