Glossary of W. G.:C18: The British Isles
Other Decks By This User
- A rolling plain covered with grasses and small shrubs.
- What is a Moor?
p.257 & 258
- A wet, spongy area of land used to extract peat used for fuel.
- What is a Bog?
p.257 & 258
- A small-scale manufacturing operation in which people make goods by hand in their own homes.
- What is a Cottage Industry?
- Money paid to workers for their labor.
- What is a wage?
- An organization of workers who are in the same industry; a labor union.
- What is a Trade Union?
- To stop work, as a group, until certain demands are met.
- What is a Strike?
- The largest of the British Isles containing 3 countries:
England, Scotland & Wales.
- Where is England?
- The northern part of England.
The northern section of this area is called the Highlands.
- Where is Scotland?
- A peninsula of western Great Britain where many people speak Gaelic (Celtic language)
- Where is Wales?
- The largest of the British Isles composed of the 3 countries England , Scotland, & Wales.
- What is Great Britain?
- The second largest island lying west across the Irish Sea. It is an independent country since 1949 composed of Catholics, who are descendents of the Celts, and speak Irish Gaelic.
- What is the Republic of Ireland?
- The six northern counties that remain part of the United Kingdom called Ulster.
The people are Protestant and British citizens.
- What is Northern Ireland?
You must Login or Register to add cards