Glossary of Vocab and Questions from Unit One
Other Decks By This User
- A scholar in ancient Greece, one of the first students of government.
- Any community with set boundaries and an organized government.
- Sizable group of people connected by race, language, custom or tradition.
- A place where state boundaries and people coincide.
- Thomas Hobbes
- Came up with the social contract theory.
- What are the features of a state?
- Population, territory, sovereignty, and absolute control over its boundaries.
- What are the four theories of origin of state?
- Evolution theory(decendent of a ruler takes over), force theory(government under one ruler), Divine Right Theory(rulers are decendents of/chosen by God), and Social Contract Theory(when people give up some rights in exchange for protection and order).
- What are the purposes of government?
- Maintaining social order, Providing public services, providing national security, and making economic decisions.
- Constitutional Governement
- A country that has a consitution that outlines the rules of the government.
- Effort to control/influence policies of government.
- Statement before the Constitution that says the goals of the document.
- constitutional law
- Law that invloves the application of the U.S.A. constitution.
- developing countries
- Countries that are only beginning to develop industrially.
- A nation that must interact on other nations.
- What are the government systems?
- Unitary system(gives power to a central government), federal system(divides power between national, state, and provincial governemts), and confederacy(loose union of independent states).
- A plan that sets rules for government.
- What are the 3 purposes of a constitution?
- 1.set out ideals that are believed by the people.
2.Establishes the basic structure of government.
3.Provides supreme law for the country.
- What are the 3 non-state catergories?
- 1. Political movements, i.e. national liberation organizations.
- direct democracy
- people govern themselves by voting on all decisions.
- voters hold sovereignty power
- political party
- group of individuals with the same broad opinions who nominate, vote for, and determine public policy.
- an agreement about basic beliefs.
- civil society
- a complex network of voluntary associations.
- What are the three types of government?
- 1.autocracy-rule by 1 person
2.oligarchy-rule by a few persons
3.democracy-rule by many people.
- free enterprise
- economic freedom
You must Login or Register to add cards