Glossary of Unit 10 Literature Flashcards
Other Decks By This User
- The major figure opposing what the hero will try to do.
- Similar plot, theme, or character elements found in the myths of many cultures.
- archetypal labyrinth
- A difficult part of the journey in which the hero must make many choices.
- archetypal threshold
- On the verge of adventure in a completely new place.
- A poet-singer gifted in composing and reciting verses on heroes and their deeds.
- call to adventure
- Called to go on a quest, often by someone or something unexpected yet ordinary.
- Listed names presented in the form of a chant.
- detailed description
- Writing that illustrates a part of the story but that isn't a direct part of the story line.
- Long story focused on a hero whose journeys reflect the values and aspirations of an entire nation.
- epic simile
- An extended simile.
- Broken into smaller parts, each of which tells a complete story.
- A stock phrase for describing a person or place.
- Part of a story told out of chronological order.
- heroic deeds
- Feats that prove a hero's valor.
- in media res
- In the middle of the action.
- Calling on a higher power for help and inspiration.
- A maze.
- A monster with the head of a bull and the body of a man.
- mythic hero
- Fictional being of great strength and courage famed for bold exploits.
- A tale -- usually anonymous -- that uses the supernatural to explain the natural.
- Hero, main character.
- A journey with a purpose.
- Particular details
- Imagining the words on the page in a mental picture.
- wise and helpful guide
- A being who provides the help, sometimes supernatural, needed to begin the quest.
You must Login or Register to add cards