Glossary of USAD - USAD - Music
Other Decks By This User
- Whi BEST reflects the influences of humanism on Renaissance music principles of determining dissonance and consonance?
organized by mathematics; judged by human ear; no chagne from medieval theories; followed scientific advances; new intervals estab
- judged by human ear
- The lute is believed to have originated from which region?
- Middle East
- Which string instrument was NOT in use during the Renaissance era?
orpharion; bandore; viola da braccio; cittern; violincello;
- Which compositional technique BEST reflects influcences of Renaissance "Mannerism" on music?
chromaticism; countenance Angloise; consistent modality; mensuration; musica ficta
- The influence of the Reformation is evident in the development of which musical innovation?
- contrafacta chorales
- The musical resting points of a piece are called _____.
- The sequence of chord progressions used iwthin a piece of music are known as _____.
- Which of the following is NOT considered a Renaissance-era polyphonic mass genre?
canonic; motto; parody; cantus firmus; intermezzo;
- Musical notation places notes on a _____.
- Identify the early Renaissance composer that was considered the MOST ingenious.
Martin Luther; Josquin des Prez; Orland di Lasso; Thomas Tallis; William Byrd;
- Josquin des Prez
- The Renaissance song, El grillo, is about a _____.
- All of the following are sacred vocal genres of the high Renaissance EXCEPT:
chorale motet; chorale; anthem; tenorlied; motet
- The Italian counterpart to the French Chanson was the _____.
- In the Medieval era, the sung portions of the mass were performed as monphonic songs known as _____.
- Which of the following was NOT part of musical innovations in the high Renaisance?
mannerism; instrumental genres; contrafacta chorales; commissions; national identity
- The growth of late Renaissance instrumetnal music was due to more specific instrumental _____.
- Indicate the adjective that LEAST characterizes the atmosphere of the early Renaissance era.
spectavle; sumptuous; display; grandeur; introverted
- "Tone color" is also known as _____.
- The composer attribued to first employing the principles of Countenance Angloise was _____.
- Historical studies are conducted through a process known as _____.
- Greek treatises on music are believed to have found their way into Western regions because of the _____.
- fall of Constantinople
- The foremost intellectual movement of the early Renaissance was _____.
- Which of the following BEST describes how exploration influenced the development of the Italian Renaissanec?
built economic wealth; brought more people; imported historical literature; developed international reputation; exposed Italy to outside cul
- built economic wealth
- Music became more widely available during the Renaissance with the development of the _____.
- printing press
- One of the most important sources of income for a composer during the Renaissance was in _____.
- secular courts
- All of the following are sections of the Mass Ordinary EXCEPT the _____.
- Choose the instrument that would be MOST closely related to the oboe.
contrabassoon; bassoon; clarinet; English horn; piccolo
- English horn
- The dominant form of secular song during the early Renaissance was the _____.
- The MOST important composer of Renaissance Lute and voice works was _____.
- The MOST prolific composer during the High Renaissance was _____.
- The regular meter of a musical work is notate by a _____.
- time signature
- During the Renaissance era, music was composed to illustrate a word or phrase. This technique was known as _____.
- word painting
- All of the following are High Renaissance secular song forms EXCEPT the _____.
lute song; Italian Madrigal; Parisian Chanson; French Motet; English Madrigal;
- French Motet
- A couplet is a type of _____.
- Musical works that do NOT adhere to a formal structure are called _____.
- freely composed
- The generic term for a combination of tones is _____.
- Which of the following is the lowest female voice type?
alto; coloratura; mezzo; soprano; lyric
- Which of the following is NOT a music tempo indication?
You must Login or Register to add cards