Glossary of Thorax and Respiratory system
Other Decks By This User
- Thorax and thoracic cavity location
- superior portion of the trunk
located between the neck and abdomen
- Thoracic Cage Constituents
- 12 prs. Ribs (true, false, floating)
12 Thoracic Vertebrae
- Thoracic Wall
- MUSCLES AND VESSELS
...and a few nerves...
- Muscles of Respiration
- Internal/external intercostals
- External Intercostal muscles
- -located between ribs, intercostal space
-function to elevate ribs, increasing lateral and anteroposterior spaces of thoracic cavity to accomodate air.
-Nerve: intercostal nerves
- Internal intercostal muscles
- -Location: intercostal space
-Function: Depress ribs, thereby decreasing thoracic cavity space, for forced expiration of air.
- Origin: xiphoid process, lower 6 ribs, upper two lumbar vertebra
Insertion: Central tendon, forms a wide musculofibrous sheet btwn thoracic and abdominal cavities.
Innervation: phrenic, some intercostals.
Function: aids in inspiration of air
- Accessory respiratory muscles
- Inspiration: Scalene, Sternocleidomast, pectoralis minor.
Expiration: abdominal muscles
- Blood Supply/return from thorax
-Anterior intercostal artery
-Posterior thoracic artery
-Posterior intercostal vein
-Anterior intercostal vein
- Anterior Intercostal artery
- -Supplies blood to anterior thoracic wall.
-Branches from Internal Thoracic Artery
- Posterior Thoracic Artery
- Direct branch of aorta
-supplies blood to posterior thoracic wall.
- Posterior intercostal vein
- Drains blood from posterior rib musc.
-Joins azygous vein system, drains to Superior Vena Cava.
- Anterior intercostal veins
- Drain blood from anterior rib muscles
-Join the internal thoracic vein, then the brachiocephalic vein or SVC.
- Innervation of Thoracic walls/floor
- Walls: T1-T12 (subcostal nerve)
Diaphragm: Phrenic Nerve (C3-C5)and peripheral intercostals.
You must Login or Register to add cards