Glossary of Texas Government - Policy and Politics - Ch. 9
Other Decks By This User
- The maximum permissible rate of production for oil and gas wells in Texas, as set by the Railroad Commision.
- Two-year budget period.
- Capital Punishment
- The death penalty.
- The reduction of punishment for a criminal offense.
- Hate-crimes Legislation
- A legislative measure that increases penalties for persons convicted of criminal offenses motivated by prejudice based on race, religion, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Medicade Program
- A federal program design to provide health insurance coverage to poor people, the disabled, and elderly Americans who are impoverished.
- The exemption from punishment for a criminal offense.
- Permanent School Fund
- A fund established in the Texas Constitution as an endowment to finance public elementary and secondary education.(H)
- The postponement of the implementation of punishment for a criminal offense.
- A regulatory process used by government agencies to enact legally binding regulations.
- Legally binding regulations adopted by a regulatory agency.
- Senatorial Courtesy
- A custom of the Texas Senate that allows individual senators a veto over nominees who live in their districts. By tradition, senators will vote against a nominee if the senator from the district in which the nominee lives declares opposition to the nomination.
- Sunset Review
- The periodic evaluation of state agencies by the legislature to determine whether they should be reauthorized.
You must Login or Register to add cards