Glossary of Terms for Office Administration Section of CPS Exam
Other Decks By This User
- active records
- Records that are accessed and utilized in the current administration of business functions.
- constant information
- Printed or electronically imaged data on a business form; information that remains the same on each document.
- Number of tabs (projections) extending across a set of folders: single-cut (one tab), third-cut (three tabs), and fifth cuts(five tabs).
- data integrity
- Maintenance of accurate information or data within the system.
- A sheet of film containing miniature images arranged in rows and columns on a card.
- Inserts for file drawers that indicate file sections and serve as dividers for groups of records.
- important records
- Documents that contribute to the continued smooth operation of an organization and can be replaced or duplicated if lost or destroyed in a disaster but with a considerable expenditure of time and money.
- inactive records
- Those records no longer referred to on a regular basis but still of limited importance
- index record
- Card that contains reference information indicating where the original file or document in a numeric or alphanumeric classification system is located.
- individual folder
- File folder that includes all correspondence for one correspondent, subject, or account.
- intelligent retrieval
- Efficient searching of document content through the use of an index of words (descriptors) contained in the document.
- Any record that contains reduced images on film.
- miscellaneous folder
- File folder at the end of a file group that houses the group of records that have not yet been assigned individual folders.
- nonessential records
- Documents that are not ncesssary for the restoration of the business and have no predictable value.
- Documents prepeared for the organization's convenience or temporary use but that normally are not saved and are disposed of after use.
- optical character recognition (OCR)
- Process whereby a document is scanned and the data converted to digital form for processing by the computer.
- out folder
- Folder inserted into a file when someone charges out an entire file folder of documents.
- periodic transfer
- The physical movement of records from active storage to semiactive or inactive storage as of a specific date each year.
- perpetual transfer
- The physical movement of records from active storage to semiactive or inactive storage at any time an event has been completed or a case closed.
- posted record
- Card record used to record or post information that updates, changes, deletes, or add data to the record.
- primary value
- The appraisal assigned to records that are active in nature and needed for current operations.
- Process of automatically deleting the contents of an electronically stored record.
- Official documents of the company or organization valuable enought to be retained and stored ina format for future use and distribution.
- relative index
- Card containing reference information for files using a numeric or alphanumeric classification system; a backup for numeric and alphanumeric systems that consists of cards filed alphabetically, providing a complete list of names or subjects already included in the filing system; individual cards or computer listing of all names in alphabetic order to which numbers have been assigned.
- secondary value
- The appraisal assigned to records that may have historical or archival importance and are held in semiactive or inactive storage
- Projection on a file folder or guide for placement of a label with a typed caption. (1) Bill for a meal function normally paid by whoever benefits from the business association.
- useful records
- Documents used in the operation of the organization that can be easily replaced.
- variable information
- Data to be filled in and inserted on a business form; information that is inserted on a document and changes each time the form is filled in.
- vital records
- Documents that are essential for the effective, continous operaton of the firm and are irreplaceable.
You must Login or Register to add cards