Glossary of Systemic Mycoses
Other Decks By This User
- Are systemic mycoses caused by yeasts or molds?
- What 4 Yeasts cause systemic mycoses?
- Cryptococcus neoformans
- What 3 molds cause systemic mycoses?
- which species mostly causes aspergillosis?
- Aspergillus fumigatus
- What type of disease does Aspergillus fumigatus cause? Where does it come from?
- inhaled pulmonary disease.
from spores in the soil
- What does Nocardia cause?
- pulmonary pneumonia
- What species cause Zygomycosis?
- Z. rhizopus
- What in general are the Classical fungal systemic mycoses?
- Dimorphic fungi
- what are the 4 dimorphic fungi that cause systemic mycoses?
- Histoplasma capsulatum
- What should you always think when you see a fungus on a plate?
- CAUTION!! very very contagious if in the mycelial phase.
flood mold w/ sterile saline to prevent airborne pathogen
- what causes histoplasmosis?
- histoplasma capsulatum
- how is histoplasmosis transmitted?
- by the inhalation of bird droppings
- what is the pathology of histoplasmosis?
- it lives in macrophages.
-Causes a lung infection similar to TB.
May disseminate to liver/spleen
- What is the morphology of H. capsulatum at
-25 deg. C?
-37 deg. C?
- Mycelial - Tuberculate macroconidia (resembls TB too)
Yeast - cells; insignificant
- What causes N. American Blastomycosis?
- Blastomyces dermatitidis
- what is n. american blastomycosis?
- an upper respiratory disease that can disseminate to the skin or bone.
- how is n. american blastomycosis transmitted?
- by the inhalation of soil
- What is the morphology of B. dermatitidis?
- 25: nondiagnostic microconidia.
37: BROADBASE BUDDING - thick walled cells.
- what causes south american blastomycosis?
- paracoccidioides brasiliensis
- what is s. american blastomycosis?
- an infection of mucus membranes that may disseminate to the internal organs/lungs.
- how is Paracoccidiodes brasiliensis transmitted?
- via the soil
- what is the diagnostic morphology of paracoccidiodes brasiliensis?
what is the morphology of the other phase?
- -Multiple budding off very thick walled cells at 37 degrees
-Chlamydoconidia at 25
- what causes valley fever?
in whom is it found?
- san joaquin valley fever is caused by Coccidiodes immitis.
dark skinned people - it disseminates to the CNS
- How is Coccidioides immitis transmitted?
What is the pathology of Coccidiomycosis?
- transmit via inhalation in dry, arid soil.
starts as a lung infection that disseminates to the skin, possibly CNS in dark people
- Valley fever is endemic in what region?
- What is the diagnostic morphology of Coccidioides immitis?
special growth feature?
- barrel-shaped arthrospores at 25'C;
Yeast phase only grows in vivo; sporangium seen here.
- What are cells of Coccidioides immitis like in the yeast phase?
- filled with spores - sporangia
- What are 3 antibacterials used to treat systemic mycoses?
- 1. Amphotericin B
You must Login or Register to add cards