Glossary of Skin and Wound specimens
Other Decks By This User
- What are the usual defense mechanisms of the skin and wounds?
- 1. sIgA
3. Physical barrier - skin
- What are the 7 common skin infections?
- 1. Pimples, carbuncles/furuncles
2. Impetigo (acne too)
3. Scalded Skin Syndrome
3. Erysipelas, Cellulitis
4. Burn, virus, fungal infectns
- What are 4 predisposing factors for skin and wound infections?
- 1. Bites
4. Decubiti (bedsores)
- What IS an abscess?
- A collection of pus that has drained into a cavity formed from tissue disintegration.
- What are the preferred specimens from skin and wound infections?
- 1. Aspirates preferred (anaerobes often cause deep)
2. Swabs will deal (for surface wounds)
- When would a direct smear be done for a skin/wound infectn?
- -for a DEEP wound; not usually normal flora that far in.
-To identify fungus on skin.
- What culture media is set up for a skin infection?
- BA, CA, CNA or EMB (if bedsore)
- What culture media are set up for a wound infection?
- BA, CA, CNA, Thioglycollate, and ANAEROBIC PLATE MEDIA!
- What 3 organisms commonly cause skin infections?
- 1. Staph aureus
3. Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- What exactly does P. aeruginosa cause?
- Burn infections
- What are 4 common flora on skin?
- What 3 bugs cause human bite wounds?
- What 2 bugs cause animal bite wounds?
- Pasteurella multocida
- What are common pathogens in wounds and abcesses?
- Staph aureus
You must Login or Register to add cards