Glossary of Science Explorer, Weather and Climate, Ch.2, Sec5
Other Decks By This User
- Name 5 types of precipitation.
3. freezing rain
- What is rain?
Rain is the most common kind of precipitation. Raindrops must be at least 0.5 millimeters in diameter.
- How large must drops of rain be?
Drops of water must be atleast 0.5 millimeters in diameter. (Note for scale: 0.5 millimeter = 2/100 inch, do not need to know inches)
- What is sleet?
Ice particles smaller than 5 millimeters in diameter. (A form of precipitation.)
- What is freezing rain?
Rain that freezes when it touches the ground.
- What is hail?
Round pellets of ice larger than 5 millimeters. (A form of precipitation.)
What is snow?
Water vapor (in a cloud) converted directly into ice crystals.
- How many sides or branches does every snowflake have?
Every snowflake has six sides.
- What is used to measure the amount of rain that falls?
A rain guage
- Name the 2 ways snowfall can be measured?
1. A ruler (pushed into the snow on the ground).
2. Melting the collected snow and measuring the depth of water it produces.
- What is a drought?
A long period of unusually low precipitation.
- What is cloud seeding?
A method of producing rain from clouds by sprinkling dry ice or silver iodide from planes into the clouds.
- What is precipitation?
Any form of water that falls from clouds and reaches the Earth's surface.
- What must hapen for water droplets or ice crystals to fall to Earth?
They must grow heavy enough to fall through the air.
- What 3 factors are needed for precipitation to occur?
- There must be:
1. water vapor
2. cold temperatures (dew point must be reached)
3. presence of particals
You must Login or Register to add cards