Glossary of SMALLPOX
Other Decks By This User
- what is small pox?
- a terrifying natural infection of man
- what is the smallpox vaccine?
- an artificial infection that prevents smallpox
- what is cowpox?
- an exotic zoonosis
- what are the names of the 2 small pox strains?
Which one is worse?
- 1. Variola major - kills 25-50% of infected! Much worse.
2. Variola minor - only <1%
- What is the incubation period of smallpox?
- 12-14 days
- How is smallpox spread?
- Via the respiratory tract
- How does smallpox infect a person?
- goes through resp tract to lymphatic system. Viremic in all tissues.
- What are the damaging effects of viremic smallpox?
-Papules with Guarnieri bodies
- What are the diagnostic features of smallpox?
- 1. History of exposure
2. Febrile prodrome 2-4 days
3. Typical rash
- What are the 4 clinical types of smallpox?
What are the fatality rates in each?
- 1. Hemorrhagic; 100% fatal
2. Flat; often fatal
3. Ordinary; 1-50% fatal
4. Modified; varies
- What 3 factors affect the prognosis of smallpox infectino?
- 1. Clinical type
2. Strain type (major/minor)
- Where does the smallpox vaccine come from?
- How long is the vaccine effective?
- 3-5 yrs
- What are drawbacks of the vaccine?
- Encephalitis, generalized vaccine, can kill if given in first year of life.
You must Login or Register to add cards