Glossary of SAT II World History
Other Decks By This User
- When did humans first appear?
- 6,000,000 years ago
- When did the Paleolithic (old stone age) age begin?
- 3.2 Million Years Ago (m.y.a.)
- Appearance of Homo habilis?
- 2.5 m.y.a.
- Appearance of Homo erectus?
- 1.4 m.y.a.
- Appearance of Homo sapiens?
- 100,000 years ago
- When did the Neolithic (new stone age) age occur?
- 8000-5000 BCE
- When was Jericho founded?
- 8000 BCE
- When did agriculture appear in the world?
When was Catal Huyuk founded?
- 7000 BCE
- When were animals domesticated?
- 4000 BCE
- Who discovered the first human, Lucy? Where? What year?
- Donald Johanson. Ethiopia. 1974.
- When did the Sumerians move into mesopotamia?
When was the wheel and bronze tools discovered?
When was maize domesticated in Mexico
- 4000 BCE
- When did cities first appear in Mesopotamia?
- 3500 BCE
- When was Egypt unified under the first dynasty?
- 3100 BCE
- When was the Egyptian Old Kingdom?
- 3100-2200 BCE
- When was the Akkadian empire formed?
- 2300 BCE
- When was the Egyptian Middle Kingdom?
- 2100-1650 BCE
- When did Hammurabi reign?
- 1792-1750 BCE
- When was the Shang Dynasty?
- 1766-1122 BCE
- When did the Hyksos invade Egypt?
- 1650 BCE
- When was the Egyptian New Kingdom?
- 1550-700 BCE
- When did the Aryans invade the Indus Valley?
- 1500 BCE
- When were Confucianism and Daoism formed?
- 500 BCE
- When was legalism formed?
- 350 BCE
- When was the Olmec civilization?
- 1000-300 BCE
- When was the Chavin culture?
- 800-400 BCE
- When did Siddhartha Guatama (Buddha) live?
- 563-483 BCE
- When did Confucius live?
- 551-479 BCE
- When did the Persians conquer Mesopotamia and Egypt?
- 525 BCE
- What was a ziggurata?
- A multilayered temple whose height was designed to bring glory to the gods and to its builders.
- What was cuneiform?
- Sumerian system of writing, made with a wedge shaped stylus in wet clay. Used pictographs.
- What was the Epic of Gilgamesh?
- A Sumerian tale, the first epic poem in world literature. Describes Sumerian gods, creation of man, and a Flood story.
- What was Hammurabi's Code?
- Eye for an eye, women treated more harshly than men, nobles could pay a fee, initiated government's responsibility for regulating people
- Who was Menes?
- The first pharoah in 3100 BCE
- What were hieroglyphics written on?
How were they first deciphered.
The Rosetta Stone, discovered in 1798 under Napoleonic rule and deciphered in the 1820's by Jean Francois Champollion
- Who was Queen Hatshepsut?
- Female pharaoh of Egypt, promoted international trade.
- Where were Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro?
- The Indus River Valley
- What was purdah?
What is sati?
- Public Isolation from non-family members.
The suicide of widows.
- How did the Aryans invade?
- Throught the Kyber Pass of the Hindu Kush Mountains
- What are the Vedas?
- hymns and chants given to the indigenous people from the Aryans. Included the Rigveda
- What is the procession of the Aryan caste system?
- Brahmins = priests
Farmers, traders, freemen
Pariahs = Untouchables
- What were the Upanishads and the Mahabharata and the Ramayana?
- Early teachings and myths of Hinduism
- What is karma?
- The combination of good and evil deeds?
- What is dharma?
- The rules of one's caste
You must Login or Register to add cards