Glossary of SAT Grammar: Error ID's
Other Decks By This User
- Three key points to Error ID's
- 1. There is never more than 1 error
2. Any underlined portion that you know is correct may be eliminated
3. 1/5 rule (3-4 of the 18)
- Same Rules as Improving Sentences
- Review! Parallelism.. Comparisons: apples and oranges..Collective nouns.. etc
- Wrong Verb Form
- Try to confuse you by making it sound good
- Pronoun Ambiguity
- there should never be any confusion about which noun a pronoun stands for.
Watch out for IT, THEY, and THIS
The team's research into an experimental treatment for diabetes made it... whats it?
If you see it or its- make sure it refers to something singular and you know Exactly what it is
If you see they, their, or them- plural
If you see this or that
- Pronoun Case
- Choosing whether to use me or I..
Subject case.. went to the store with.. Object case
- Choosing between who and whom?
- Rearrange the sentence and think whether you would use a subject pronoun like he or an object pronoun like him.. if you'd say "he" then who, if you'd say "him" then whom
- "Between you and I"
- Always incorrect!!
Should be between you and me
- Sneaky Pronoun trick.. Claire likes raisins more than me/I
- She likes them more than me or more than I like them?
- Idioms: ... of
- Capable of..
- Idioms.. to
- Idioms.. from
- Buy from..
- Idioms.. with
- Idioms.. over
- Idioms.. as
- Idioms.. for
- Idioms.. about
- Idioms.. in
- Idioms.. that
- Idioms.. to be
- Idioms.. (no preposition)
- When vs. Which
- When for time
Which for thing or iea
Ex: Photosynthesis is a process which/when..
- Fewer vs. Less
- Fewer: countable things
Less: uncountable things
Ex: Jim has lessl fewer reasons to..
- Most vs. More
- Most: more than 2 things
More: with 2 things
Ex: Of the two competeing theories,...one is the..more/most credible
- for place
Ex: libertarianism is a political system where.. WRONG
- Students which or Student who?
- Students who
- Between vs. Among
- Between- 2 things
Among- more than 2 things
Between/Among the field of competitors..
- In the year 1948
- ETS Diction Word: Prospective
- Prospective- likely to happen
- Error ID Summary p. 319
- Copy over
- Object Case vs. Subject Case
- Subject Case- use subject pronouns as subjects of verbs 1,he,she,we,they,who,you
Object Case- use object pronouns as objects of verbs and objects of prepositions
- Who did that work? It was him/he
He did that work
- I've completed more assignments than they/them
then they have completed
- You can count on Al and me/I to do a good job.
- You can count on... me
- It's me/I!
- If anyone deserves recognition for their contribution, it is they/them.
they deserve recognition
- Common Diction Errors
allusion vs. illusion
implicate vs. imply
perspective vs. prospective
describe vs. ascribe
- allusion- indirect reference
implicate- connect in criminal manner
perspective- mental outlook
prospective- likely to happen
ascribe- to attribute to
- More Common Diction Errors
Devious vs. Diverse
Deduce vs. Induce
Consciousness vs. conscience
Compliment vs. complement
elude vs. allude
- Devious- shady
deduce- conclude to
Induce- bring about or cause
Consciousness- state of being awake
Complement- completes other part
Elude- to escape
Allude- to refer to
Michael later discovered that Melissa and he were the only people in the class to score higher than...
he is correct because it could have been.. he was the only person
- What's Wrong?
Everyone on the softball team who came up to bat squinted at the pitcher so as to keep the glare of the sun out of their eyes.
Everyone is singular
- indebted.. you
- resentful.. you
- over or with
- books fell off.. the wall
- named.. president of her class
- not only idioms, ...
- but also
- just as happy to test..
- not so much a question of rules, ...
- as it is memorizing the idioms
- be achieved..
- Just as this will improve your essay, .
- so too
- ..modern standards, some of these rules
- Both Carin... Graham
- either one..
- neither John..
- to determine..
- So intense..
- No sooner had I finished...
- ...seeing the last one, I heaved a sigh, but reconciled myself..the fact
- Upon.. to
- I prefer green tea...coffee
- coffee contains four times more antioxidants... green tea does
- is certainly no more flavorful..
- firm evidence.. suport the claim..
- to .. that
- contains from two..
- to .. five
- as much caffeine..
- This list is so thorough... exhaustive
- AS TO BE
- to be
- just as..
- so too
You must Login or Register to add cards