Glossary of Roberto Walker Clemente (Pattern Puzzle 1)
Other Decks By This User
- Roberto Walker Clemente was baorn in Bario San Anton in Puerto Rico on August 18, 1934.
- The youngest of four children, Roberto excelled in track and field, winning medals in the javelin throw and short distance races.
- However, his real love
- He played amateur baseball and soon went on to play with the Santurce Crabbers in the Puerto Rican Winter League.
- From Santurce he signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers and was assigned to play for their top associated team, the Montreal Royals.
- Clemente joined the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1955, where he played his entire eighteen year Major League Baseball career from 1955 to 1972.
- Roberto played in two World Series. He was the National League Batting Champion four times and was awarded twelve Gold Gloves.
- On November 14, 1964, he married Vera Cristina Zabala in Puerto Rico.
- They had three sons: Roberto Jr., Luis Roberto and Roberto Enrique.
- Proud of his heritage, Roberto insisted that Vera give birth to all three sons in Puerto Rico.
- The boys were six, five and two when their father met his untimely death.
- Roberto's career ended tragically on December 31, 1972, when he died in an airplance crash on its way to Nicaragua.
- The plane was taking food, clothing and medical supplies to earthquake stricken Nicaragua.
- Vera and friends begged him not to take the trip due to poor weather, but Roberto was determined.
- He was very angry that the previous supplies had not made it to the victims.
- Roberto was going to personally see it it that the victims received the much needed supplies. Unfortunately, the plane wend down off the coast of Puerto Rico.
- Roberto's bodywas neer found.
- Just months after Roberto had joined an elite group of players with 3,000 hits, he was gone.
- Roberto Walker Clemente (Pattern Puzzle 1)
- Roberto's career ended tragically on December 31, 1972, when he died in an airplane crash on its way to Nicaragua.
You must Login or Register to add cards