Glossary of Rights
Other Decks By This User
- Establishment Clause
- Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.
- Free Exercise Clause
- Prohibits gov't from unduly interfering with the free exercise of religion.
- Seditious Speech
- Any speech urging resistance to lawful authority or advocating the overthrow of the gov't.
- Symbolic Speech
- Involves actions to express point of view.
- Pure Speech
- Verbal Expression.
- False, spoken speech.
- False, written speech.
- Fighting Words
- Speech which is so insulting it provokes immediate violence.
- 2nd Amendment
- Gives individuals the right to bear arms.
- Engle v. Vitale
Prayer may not be composed by gov't officials.
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier
School officials given more authority to regulate student conduct and gave them the right to decide what may be published.
- Near v. Minnisota
Expanded freedom of press. State or congress can't restrict what is printed but a person may be held accountable.
- Bethel School District v. Fraser
Limited students right to free speech at school.
- Tinker v. Des Moines
Students rights don't stop at school and they should be allowed to express, as long as they don't infringe on others' rights.
You must Login or Register to add cards