Glossary of Reproductive System- Males
Other Decks By This User
- The male reproductive glands.
- A specialized germ cell that fuses with another gamete during fertilization (conception) in organisms that reproduce sexually.
- A cell that is the result of fertilization. That is, two haploid cells—usually (but not always) an ovum from a female and a sperm cell from a male—merge into a single diploid cell.
- The haploid cell that is the male gamete.
- An organelle that develops over the anterior half of the spermatozoon's head.
- The haploid male gametid that results from division of secondary spermatocytes.
- The process by which male gametogonia develop into mature spermatozoa, the mature male gametes, in many sexually reproducing organisms.
- A layer of smooth muscular fiber outside the external spermatic fascia but below the skin.
- dartos muscle
- A muscle that covers the testis. Its function is to raise and lower the scrotum in order to regulate the temperature of the testis and promote spermatogenesis.
- cremaster muscle
- A bag of skin and muscle containing the testicles.
- Located in the testicles, and are the specific location of meiosis, and the subsequent creation of gametes, namely sperm.
- seminiferous tubules
- A physical barrier between the blood vessels and the seminiferous tubules of the animal testes.
- blood-testes barrier
- The cord-like structure formed by the vas deferens and surrounding tissue that run from the abdomen down to each testicle.
- spermatic cord
- A passage in the anterior abdominal wall which in men conveys the spermatic cord and in women the round ligament.
- inguinal canal
- A pair of simple tubular glands posterinferior to the urinary bladder of males.
- seminal vesicles
- An organic fluid that usually contains spermatozoa. It is secreted by the gonads (sexual glands) and other sexual organs of male or hermaphroditic animals, including slugs, for fertilization of female ova.
- The mass of spongy tissue surrounding the male urethra within the penis.
- corpus spongiosum
- One of a pair of a sponge-like regions of erectile tissue which contain most of the blood in the male penis during erection.
- corpora cavernosa
- Generally defined as the surface region in both males and females between the pubic symphysis and the coccyx.
- State of being unable to reproduce; of being infertile.
- A sexual dysfunction characterized by the inability to develop or maintain an erection of the penis for satisfactory sexual intercourse regardless of the capability of ejaculation.
You must Login or Register to add cards