Glossary of Religion 204
Created by borderwave2
Other Decks By This User
- Jews are cursed for killing Christ
- Jews deny Christ, and love the emperor
- Justification by works and faith.
How much Jewish Law should be kept by Christians
- Gentile Audiance.
Superioritu of Christ in the new covenant to Prophets and Priests of the old.
- Letter of Barnibus
- Circumcision is unnecessary.
Avoiding Pork is not about keeping Kosher.
- Melito of Sardis
Jusiasm is voided by Christianity
Christianity supersedes Judaism in importance
- Roots of Christian Anti-Semitism
- Adoptionism, main beliefs, but not a full conversion.
Separation of communities, jew and Christian.
Separation causes social conflict, community closed to outsiders.
Apocalyptic vs the Empire.
- Still trying to keep Jews and Christians together.
- Ignatious to the romans
- because of the end of the are we consider the implications of our behavior.
Power of the empire is irrelevant.
- 1 Peter
don't sin, sexual sins are important to Community boundaries.
Sins are important to the power of the empire. Social stigma surrounding Christians creates a P.R. Nightmare.
- predicts his death, prime example of a martyr.
- Justin Martyr - Second Apology
- Christians and jews seperate into own social class.
Leaders appointed in times of crisis.
- Church Elder
- Explains positions within the church: Bishops Deacon's Elders
- addresses problems in the Church, false teachers, sexual immorality, references soddom and Gamorah
- 2 Peter
- Addresses problems presented in Jude.
- 1 Clement
- divisions of the church caused by strife in the community,
Apostles have authority because Christ gives them it.
- Ignatious and Polycarp
- how to keep the church unified, unity is a major concern, congregations should pay attention to their bishop
- Role of Women
hierarchy, man is an image of god, woman is an image of man
justification for gender roles
in God's eye there is neither male nor female
In Christianity, women can be free and virgins, saved through childbearing (1 Timothy).
orthoproxy, right beleif – right practice
VERY specific (what days to fast, right teaching, recognize false prophecy, Baptism, practice for Eucharist which is only for the Baptized, establishing false prophets, no abortion, salcation through childbirth for women)
Unlike the four canonical gospels, Thomas is not a narrative account of the life of Jesus and is not worked into any overt philosophical or rhetorical context. Rather, it is logia, or gospel sayings, with short dialogues and sayings attributed to Jesus
- Flesh v. Spirit
if flesh does not matter, than moral behavior really doesn't matter.
The church must decide how it behaves.
- Jesus Laughed Condescendingly
the Gospel of Judas appears to interpret Judas's act not as betrayal, but rather as an act of obedience to the instructions of Jesus.
importance of being in harmony with the Bishop
opposed to those who oppose Christ
examines Judaism and Christianity in a Hellenistic context.
Eucharist is important.
- faith is the privileged lens through which you view scripture.
You must Login or Register to add cards