Glossary of Psychology Final Ch.14 Psycological Disorders
Other Decks By This User
- What are four criteria needed for diagnosing mental disorders?
- 1. Suffering
4. Bizarre Behavior
- When are mental problems "normal"?
- When they are reactions to conditions outside the person (example: poverty)
- What are five anxiety disorders?
- 1. Genaralized Anxiety
4. Post Traumatic Stress
5. Obsessive Compulsive
- What are obsessions & compulsions & what is obsessive - compulsive disorder (OCD)?
- Disorder with endlessly repeated thought(obsession) and actions (compulsion)
- What is the difference between a hypochondriac and a patient with conversion disorder(Formerly Hysteria)?
- Hypochondriacs have exaggerated worry about their health, conversion disorder patients may have diasbling symptoms, but are are indifferent and don't complain because there is a payoff or advantage to their symptoms.
- What is the cognitive theory of depression?
- Pessimistic thoughts (over-generalizing the bad) cause bad moods.
- What are pessimistic cognitive distortions that cause depression?
- The explanatory style that sees misfortune as permanent, global, and your fault.
- What is Bipolar Mood disorder?
- Extreme mood swings with episodes of mania and depression, formely maniac depressive illness.
- What is mania?
- Bizarrely elavated mood.
- What is schizophrenia?
- Psychotic disorder with symptoms including hallucinations, delusion, & disorganized thinking.
- What are delusions?
- Symptoms of bizarre beliefs (examp: persecution by aliens)
- What are hallucinations?
- Symptoms of bizarre sensations (examp: hearing voices)
- What is a personality disorders?
- Personailty patterns causing maladjustment.
- What are the personality disorders?
- Examples include dependent, obsessive compulsive, borderline, and also antisocial personalities.
- What is the antisocial or psychopathic personality?
- Person lacks a conscience (superego), often deliquent with conduct against the rules of civil sociery.
- What is insanity?
- Legal term for not competent to know right from wrong.
- What is psychoanlysis?
- Sigmund Freud's Technique of talk therapy.
- Free association?
- Say whatever comes to mind!
- Do I remind you of your father?
- What is systematic desensitization and what is it used for?
- Treatment of phobia with relaztion, while visualizing progressively more frightening images (anxiety hierarchy).
- What technique does it employ?
- 1. Practive deep relaxation
2. Construct anxiety hiearchy
3. Imagine threatening scenes (in hierachy) while relaxed?
- What is aversion therapy?
- A behavior therapy which associates painful stimulus (exap: shock) with a bad habit.
- What is cognitive therapy?
- Therapy which confronts distorted thinking and ideas which cause disturbance.
- What is Rational Emotive behavior therapy (REBT)?
- Albert Ellis's Cogntive pyschoterapy for confronting and siputing irrational beliefs that cause disturbance.
- What is the perspective of existential humanistice therapy?
- They advocate courage, choice, and commitment to goals (hardiness).
- Feeling with (listening with emotional undertanding).
- What is person-centered therapy? (client centered)
- non-directive talk therapy, devised by Carl Rogers.
- Unconditional positive regard?
- total acceptance, without conditions of worth.
- reflective listening?
- restating clients thoughts & feelings (like a mirror)
- What is drug therapy and how did it revolutionize the treatment of mental patients since the 1950's.
- Uses of medicine to treat mental inllness helped bring on desinstitutionalization.
- Which category of drugs is used with psychotics?
- Antipsychotics (Examp: Phenothiazines)
- For what condition are mood stablizers prescribed.
- For Mania (bipolar disorder) to prevent mood swings.
- When is electroconvulsive shock therapy used?
- as last resort for severe depression
- What is a lobotomy?
- Old (obsolete) surgical procedures to treat agitated patients by cutting nerves in frontal lobes.
- What emotion is linked to heart disease?
- Hostility in "type A individuals"
You must Login or Register to add cards