Glossary of Psychology3
Other Decks By This User
- What are Concepts?
Hint: Object of group affection
- mental groupings of similar objects
- What is an Algorithim?
Hint: one big step for man
- step-by-step procedure that guarantees a solution
- What is a Heuristic?
Hint: Boondock Saints
- simple thinking strategy – “rule of thumb”
- What is a Mental Set?
Hint: out with the old...
- a well-established habit of perception of thought successful in the past, but may not help us in a new situation
- What are representative heuristics?
Hint: compare to perfection
- judge the likelihood of something based on how well it matches a prototype
- What is Overconfidence?
Hint: full of yourself
- I know I am right
- What is Belief perseverance?
Hint: I don't care what you think
- I’m right even if everyone says I’m wrong
- What is Confirmation bias?
Hint: mine...only mine
- I can only see evidence that supports my belief, only search info that supports belief
- What is Fixation?
- I cannot see any other solution
- What are Phonemes?
Hint: B vs. D
- smallest meaningful sound unit; change in phoneme = change meaning
- What are Morphemes?
- the smallest unit of language that carries meaning...ex. (Cat-s; pre-conception; happi-ness; fall-ing; hand-ed)
- What is Syntax?
Hint: Rules were meant to be broken
- rules for combining words to form sentences
- What is Categorical perception?
Hint: different, exaggerate; same category, minimized
- Differences among items that fall into different categories are exaggerated, and differences among items that fall into the same category are minimized.
- What is Skinner learning?
- Operant learning
- What is Chomsky learning?
- Must be wired to learn language because it is so complex
- What is the carthisis theory of anger?
Hint: hit a pillow
- Releasing your anger on something that is like a wall is good but to a person if you feel regret it is bad
- What is adaptation level phenomenon?
Hint: winter t-shirt
- hawiian thinking the seattle environment is cold where the native seattlite will think it is ok
- What is the role of incentives?
Hint: red light
- incentives increase your likelyhood of doing said activity
- What is Attribution Theory?
Hint: one or the other
- explain actions through situation or personality
- What is attribution theory error?
Hint: she's nuts
- we as people automatically attribuate crazy actions to personality
- What is cognitive dissonance?
Hint: devils advocate
- tendency to start agreeing with something that you are forced to play devils advocate for
- What is relative deprivation?
Hint: the grass is greener
- you think you are deprived cause you don't have what everyone else does
- Define Motivation
- need of desire that directs you towards a goal
- role of cognition in emotion
Hint: sense then feel
- cognition happens before emotion
- What Social Loafing?
Hint: Group project
- you diffuse the respocibility
- Foot in the Door Phenomonen?
- gateway to other more involved things
- Galton intelligence
Hint: Inherit mother nature
- Inherited genius...nature
- Binet intelligence
Hint: hold me
- general intelligence...nuture
- Terman intelligence
Hint: bring it home
- standardized intelligence testing for us
- Stern intelligence
Hint: _ / _
- I.Q. testing...age mental divided by chronological age
- general intelligence -
- analytic intelligence, creative intelligence, practical intelligence
- Gardner's intelligence
- multiple-intelligences, frames of mind "everyone is special" theory
- Salovey and Meyer intelligence
- emotional intelligence, ability to percieve, express, understand and regulate emotions
- is intelligence due to nature or nurture
Hint: best of...
- both but heritability wins
- rosenthal study
Hint: teachers pet
- self-fulfilling prophecy, young children are more malleable, less established reputations, more susceptible to differential treatment
- What is the drive reduction theory?
Hint: i want it or gotta have it
- physiological/tissue need -> hunger
behavior that reduces the need
- what is Homeostatis?
Hint: tight rope walker
- delicate balance of body temp, oxygen in blood, minerals in blood, water, food...
- Hunger; Phisology
- glucose drops
stomach secrets ghrelin
lat. hypo.; feed me!
ventro. hypo.; stop eating!
- What is a set point?
Hint: i am fat
- Set point is point at which an individuals "weight thermostat" is set...lose weight or gain weight
- arousal and performance
Hint: sex is easy
- easy tasks performed best when aroused
harder tasks performed best when calm
You must Login or Register to add cards