Glossary of Psych ch. 3 test
Other Decks By This User
- the system that relays messages in form of electrochemical impulses throughout the body is called ______.
- the nervous system
- the system which consists of a number of glands which secrete chemicals into the bloodstream is called ___.
- the endocrine system
- what transmits electrical information, transmits chemical information, and communicates through neurotransmitters
- a neuron
- the short fibers which extend from the neuron allowing it to receive messages from other neurons are ______.
- neurons that have a myelin sheath are
- if the dendrite is the "input" structure of the neuron, the output strugture is the
- for a period of .001 second after firing, a neuron cannot fire again. this period is called the
- absolute refractory period
- the period in which the neuron begins to pump sodium ions out of the cell and can only fire if the incoming message is extremely powerful is called the
- relative refractory period
- which of the following perform most of the work of the nervous system
- the neurotrasmitter that excites other neurons
- a schizophreic is mostly likely to have a problem with which of the neurotransmitters?
- what would most likely happen if something prevented the release of acetylcholine
- a person, after drinking several cups of strong coffee, develops coffee nerves, or jitters. this probably is due to
- the ability of caffeine to inhibit enzymes which break down excitory neurotransmistters
- Despite its dangers, a young man continues to take cocaine ebcause of the feelings of euphoria it produces for him. this powerful arousal of his nervous system is probably due to cocaine's ability to ____
- prevent neurotransmitters from being reabsorbed into the synaptic vesicles
- the cerebellum does what?
- corrdinates actions so that movements are efficient
- the hippocampus is involved with
- putting memories into permanent storage
- What part of the brain allows humans to use language?
- The part of the brain which interprets visual information is the ___
- occipital lobe
- the structure that connects the two hemispheres of the cerebal cortex is the ___
- corpus callosum
- the part of the brain that receives sensations of touch, balance, and bodily position is the ____
- parietal lobe
- the peripheral nervous system consists of the ____ and the ____ nervous system
- somatic; autonatic
- the autonomic nervous system has two divisons:
- sympathetic and parasympathetic
- The two hormones which keep the blood-sugar level properly balanced are ____
- insulin and glucaon
- What part of the brain cuold be compared to a switchboard receiving calls from all over the country and tehen direcing the paths of these incoming calls?
- LSD reduces the activity of ____, causing an increase in neural impulses in the brain that leads to hallucinations.