Glossary of Physio Psych Chapter 7
Other Decks By This User
- What is the receptor for hearing?
- Hair cells of the basilar membrane.
- Where does info from the ear receptor travel?
- From the hair cells on the basilar membrane to the auditory nerve and to the primary auditory cortex.
- What is the receptor for taste?
- Papillae found in the taste buds on the tongue.
- Where does info from the tongue receptor travel?
- It takes the 7th 9th and 10th cranial nerves to the tractus solitarius (medulla). Then to the pons, lateral hypothalamus, amygdala, thalamus, insula (cortex) -> to determine flavor or the somatosensory cortex -> to determine pressure.
- What is the receptor for smell?
- Cilia in the mucosa.
- Where does info from the olfactory receptor travel?
- Cilia -> olfactory bulb -> cortex.
- What is the receptor for body position?
- 5 semi-circular canals (half-filled with jelly), like carpenter's levels.
- Where does info from the vestiublar system travel?
- Travels through part of the eighth cranial nerve to the brainstem and cerebellum.
- What are the receptors for touch?
- Raffini, Meissner's, Pacinian
- Where does info from the touch receptors travel?
- Info coming from the head travels through the cranial nerves. Info coming from the body travels through the spinal cord.
- What is unique about hearing?
- The tonotopic map.
- What is unique about taste?
- It is ipsilateral.
- What is unique about smell?
- Cortical design is identical across people. We all smell the same.
- What is unique about touch?
- Pain is a sensation, hurt is an emotion.
- What is unique about vision?
- Retinotopic map.
- What food has no taste?
- What type of food is a favorite, and why?
- Fats, they stimulate the mechanoreceptors in the tongue.
- What two modalities create the sensation of flavor?
- Taste and smell.
- How many channels does pain have to the brain? Where?
- One, at the top of the spinal cord.
- What blocks pain?
- How does accupuncture work to relieve chronic pain?
- Since the brain attends to new pain over old pain, the new slight pain from accupuncture temporarily relieves chronic pain.