Glossary of Persuasive Speech
Other Decks By This User
- Attention Getter
- I. Attention Getter: Imagine, your sitting on your porch enjoying a nice evening, and along comes a car. You notice someone open the window and pop their hand out. This is a pretty common sight. But, what you don’t notice is a gun in the persons hand. The last thing you remember is the sound of the gun shots. Worst of all is that the gun is pointed at you.
- Credibility Statement & Relating to the Audience
- Credibility Statement:
I am credible to talk of this topic because I have done extensive research on the rising gang activity.
Relating to the Audience:
Has anyone here thought of where they will live after college? Well, maybe you should take this into consideration. The gang activity in the United States has started to rise in the past few years.
- Thesis Statement
- Thesis Statement:
The new gang prevention and deterrence legislation act that is currently in congress will not help the lack of federal funding in after school programs that could combat the recruitment of young gang members in today's most notorious gangs.
- Transition 1
The violence you heard earlier has become a common occurrence by gang members, and the United States Congress have taken steps to combat their efforts this year.
- I. This year, congress announced a new act that as of April 4, 2005 is still being debated in certain committees in congress.
a. This act is called Gang Deterrence and Community Protection Act 2005.
- i. This act has two main purposes.
1) Purpose one: Increase Gang Prosecutions and Purpose two: Prevent Gang-Related crimes
- ii. The bill authorizes many major points that needs to be addressed but there are two that I think are the most important, but don't cover all that is necessary.
1) The bill authorizes increased federal funding to support federal, state and local law enforcement efforts against violent gangs
- Transition 2
Now that we have looked at the bill, let me explain one area where it is lacking and seriously needs to be addressed.
- II. Federal Funding has been cut in many places, but one of the most important places it has affected is towards our children, who are going to the streets instead of somewhere much safer.
a. Olgen Williams, executive director of a community center in Indianapolis called Christamore House has commented on the recent budget cuts made by the present Bush administration.
- i. "There are not enough resources being put into the things that improve people's quality of life" said Williams in the Indy Star's July 13th issue.
1) Later in the article, Williams commented on how "programs are being squeezed by federal budget cuts by the Bush administration and also how Indianapolis particularly, does not have any summer job work programs."
- ii. The Indy Star reports that last year, three homicide victims were age 16 or under.
1) This report was down from nine in 2003, law enforcement records showed.
- b. As a result of the federal budget cuts gangs are growing by the recruitment of younger homies.
i. In MSNBC an article found on October 24, they said, I quote, "gangs are attracting younger members and stretching into the suburbs.
- 1) "You still have kids joining gangs as small as, junior high. And you have kids that are in elementary already knowing, the gang structure and about gangs," Alex Sanchez said on NewsHour Extra on October 5.
- ii. Also in the Indy Star, Olgen Williams stated in the same July 13th issue that "since we have no places for them to go, they're in the streets, lighting firecrackers, going down to the mall, hanging out. And that causes trouble."
- Transition 3
Now that we have seen where the act is lacking, lets look at where our children are going.
You must Login or Register to add cards