Glossary of Organ systems of the Body
Other Decks By This User
- Integumentary system is composed of?
- Function of the integumentary system?
- Protects deep tissues from injury
Synthesizes vitamin D
- Skeletal system is composed of?
- Function of the skeletal system?
- Protects and supports body organs
Provides the framework for muscles
Site of blood cell formation
- Muscular system is composed of?
- muscles and tendons
- Function of the muscle system?
- allows manipulation of the environment, locomotion and facial expression, maintains posture, produces heat
- Nervous system is composed of?
- Function of the nervous system?
- Control system of the body (fast-acting)
Responds to stimuli (activates muscles and glands)
- Structure and function of the Cardiovascular system??
- Heart and blood vessels
Transport blood throughout body
- Lymphatic system is composed of?
- red bone marrow, thymus, spleen, lymph nodes and lymphatic vessels
- Function of the lymphatic system?
- returns fluid to the blood
disposes of debris
houses white blood cells
- Respiratory system is composed of?
- nasal cavity, pharynx, trachea, bronchi and lungs
- Function of the respiratory system?
- Supplies blood O2
- Digestive system is composed of?
- oral cavity, esophagus, stomach, small and lg intestines, rectum, anus and liver
- Function of the digestive system?
- Breaks down food into absorbable units that enter the blood
Eliminates indigestible foodstuffs as feces
- Urinary system is composed of?
- kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder and urethra
- Function of the urinary system?
- Eliminates nitrogenous waste from the body
Regulates water, electrolyte and pH balance of the blood
- Endocrine system is composed of?
- pituitary gland, thyroid gland, pancreas, adrenal glands, gonads, etc
- Function of the endocrine system?
- Control system of body (slow acting)
Regulates processes such as growth, reproduction and metabolism (hormones
- Male reproductive system is composed of?
- prostate gland, penis, testes, scrotum and ductus deferens
- Testes produce _____ and _____?
- sperm and male sex hormones
- Male ducts and glands do what?
- deliver sperm to the female reproductive tract
- Female reproductive system is composed of?
- mammary glands, ovaries, uterine tubes, uterus and vagina
- What are the 3 forms of gross anatomy?
- What are the 2 forms of microscopic anatomy?
- What are the 2 forms of developmental anatomy?
- What a structure can do depends on its specific ______.
You must Login or Register to add cards