Glossary of Nursing Concepts One
Other Decks By This User
- Critical thinking to nursing is a_________ disciplined process of actively & skillfully __________, analyzing, ________________ and evaluating ____________.
- Name the five actions that constitute critical thinking.
- Nurses use __________ from other subjects and fields.
- Nurses deal _________ with human responses
- Nurses deal with _________ in stressful ____________.
- Using creativity in problem solving nurses should be able to:
- generate ideas rapidly
be flexible & natural
create original solutions
- The application of a set of questions to a particular situation or idea to determine essential inforation & ideas is called?
- Critical Analysis
- A technique one uses to look beneath the surface, recognize & examine assumptions, search for inconsistances is a form of what type of questioning?
- Socratic questioning
- True or False:
"What could you assume instead, why?" is a form of Socratic questioning. Why would this be or not be?
- Generalizations that are formed from a set of facts or observations is a form of what?
- Inductive reasoning
- Reasoning that goes from general to specific is a form of what?
- Deductive reasoning
- Define the purpose of a nursing Assessment
- To establish a database about the client's response to health concerns or illness and the ability to manage health care needs
- Name the 7 steps in establishing a patient database
- 1. Obtain health history
2. do a physical assessment
3. review client records
4. consult support persons
5. organize data
6. validate data
7. update data as needed
8. Communicate / document data
- What is the purpose of a nursing diagnosis?
- To identify client strength and health problems that can be prevented or resolved by nursing interventions
- Compare data against _______________.
- Identify gaps & _______________________.
- Determine patient's ________________, risks and problems.
- The purpose of a nursing diagnosis is _______________________.
- To set priorities and goals with the patient's collaboration.
- A nursing diagnosis includes ______________________
- Goals & desired outcomes
- Why does the nurse group data?
- To create a possible hypothesis in regard to a nursing diagnosis.
- Write goals and desired _______________
- ____________ nursing strategies
- Why would the nurse consult with other health professionals?
- 1) To establish the validity of collected data, or 2) Confere on information received from patient, or 3) pass on information to treating physicians, etc...
- What is the difference between a "nursing" order and a "doctor's" order?
- A nursing order addresses a patient's return to normalacy while a doctor's order addresses medical treatment.
- The most important task that a nurse does when creating a nursing care plan is to _______________ to relevant health care providers
- Document care & patient ______________ to care
- When does a nurse reassess a patient?
- After acting upon portion of a medical or nursing teatment.
- Define "Standards of Care"
- Authoritative statements that describe a common or acceptable level of care.
- The nurse collects patient health data
- The nurse analyzes the assessment data in determining the ______________
- nursing diagnosis
- The nurse develops a ________________ of ___________ that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes
- plan of care or care plan
- The nurse _________________________ the interventions identified in the plan of care.
- The nurse ________________ the patients progress toward attainment of outcomes
- The systematic collection, verification, organization, interpretation and documentation of data is called ___________________
- Why does the nurse need to create a client database?
- 1) gather data about lifestyles and ADL's
2) creates a nurse-client relationship
- The three types of assessment are:
- 1) Focused
- The five types of data include:
- 1) Primary
5) Health History
- True or false: Step one in creating a nursing care plan is to evaluate the patient
- False. The first step in creating a nursing care plan is to assess the patient and begin the process of collecting data.
- True or False: Data is analyzed and the Nursing diagnosis is identified.
- True. The nurse collects the data, analyizes it, and creates a nursing diagnosis based upon the data collected.
- True or False: A component of the nursing diagnosis includes a problem statement or diagnostic label.
- True. The actual nursing diagnosis is the problem statement or diagnositc label, for example, "at risk for skin breakdown r/t immobility."
- The three catagories of nursing diagnosis are:
- 1) Actual
- Name Maslowe's Hierachy of Needs
- 1) Physiologic
2) Safety & Security
3) Love & Belonging
4) Self Esteem
5) Self Actuation
You must Login or Register to add cards