Glossary of Navy leadership
Other Decks By This User
- What 6 skills has the Navy identified that effective leaders have in common?
- Commitment to command's mission; Self-image as a leader; Communication; Influencing; Development of others; and Concern for subordinate
- What are 6 personal characterstics that promotes effective leadership?
- Concern for achievement; Analytical problem solving; Interpersonal awarness; Initiative; Persistence; and Assertiveness
- What 5 counseling objective (using one or more of) should be considered for achieving effective Counseling sessions?
- Advice; Reassurance; Release of emotional tensions; Clarified thinking; and Reorientation
- Who makes up the Operating Personnel in a Navy unit to complete goals and tasks?
- The LPO and below
- Who makes up the Operating Management in a Navy unit to set division goals and to supervise goal completion?
- The Division Officer and CPOs
- Who makes up Middle Management in a Navy Unit to determine requirements and meet goals?
- The Department Head
- Who makes up the Top Level Management to set visions and goals?
- The CO/XO and above
- What are 6 elements that interact to determine your leadership style?
- Motives and values; Past experiences; Past and present supervisors; Jobs or taks; Organizational culture; Norms and situations
- What are the 6 types of leadership styles?
- Coercer; Authoritarian; Affiliator; Democratic; Pacesetter; and Coach
- What 6 types of power?
- Reward; Coercive; Legitimate; Informational; Referent; and Expert
- What are the 5 management and supervisory skills required for maintaining an effective and efficient work center or division
- Concern for standards; Concern for efficienty; Planning and organizing; Supervising for effective performance; and Monitoring
- What are the 6 elements of effective control?
- Activities; Timeliness; Effectiveness; Accuracy; Acceptance; and Organization
- What does the term Management by Objectives (MBO) mean?
- Superiors and subordinates taking part in setting overall goals for the organization
- What are the Navy's 3 Core Values?
- Honor, Commitment, and Courage
- What leadership style is especially effective during a wartime situation when the command is in combat or under fire?
- The Coercer style
- What type of leadership style depicts a leader who sets high standards, leads by example, but would rather do the job themselves?
- The Pacesetter
- Which leadership style describes a leader who's first concern is people; where concern for subordinates and personal popularity are the most important aspects of their job?
- An Affiliator
- When would the Democratic leadership style be harmful?
- When preparing for an inspection because you would lack control. It would also be harmful during drills or combat because you would nt have time to hold meetings
- What type of leader is firm but fair, tactfull provides clear direction, but leaves no doubt about what is expected or who makes the final decisions?
- An Authoritarian
- Which style of leadership relies on participation of the group where the leaders believe subordinates should take part in the decision-making process?
- Which style of leadership centers on the development of subordinates, where the leaders see their job as developing and improving the performance of their subordinates?
- The Coach
- Which leadership style is especially well adapted for the role of a counselor?
- The Affiliator
- Which leadership style involves subordinates doing the job the way the leader tells them to do it, and by using threats of discipline or punishment for motivation?
- The Coercer style
- When is the Coach style of leadership helpful?
- When a worker is attempting to learn a new procedure or master a new technique.
- What is the Pacesetter style of leadership helpful?
- When you are working with a new work center or teaching a new maintenance procedure by example
- Which leadership style might be usefl when seeking information on a particular situation before inspections?
- What are the titles for E-7 in the Navy and Marines?
- Navy: Chief Petty Officer Marines: Gunnery Sergeant
- What are the paygrade titles for E-8 in the Navy and Marines?
- Navy: Senior Chief Petty Officer Marines: First Sergeant or Master Sergeant
- What are the paygrades titles for E-9 in the Navy and Marines?
- Navy: Masterc Chief Petty Officer Marines: Sergeant Major and Master Gunnery Sergeant
You must Login or Register to add cards