Glossary of Music Theory Grades1-3
Other Decks By This User
- What is meter?
- organizing pattern of strong and weak beats
- What is a natural?
- a symbol that cancels a flat or sharp. Just play the white key that is named.
- What is an interval?
- distance (how far) in pitch between two tones (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)
- What is a time (meter) signature?
- A symbol placed at the beginning of a piece. The BOTTOM number tells WHAT KIND of note gets one beat and the
TOP number tells HOW MANY beats are in every measure.
- What is a sharp?
- a symbol that tells a performer to play the very next key higher. (right)
- What is a measure?
- the distance from one bar line to the next
- What is a flat?
- a symbol that tells performer to play the very next key lower (left)
- Where do you find a double bar line?
- at the end of a piece.
- What is a keynote?
- the first pitch (degree) of a scale
- What does a tie do?
- Connects notes of the SAME pitch.
- What does it mean when you see a dot above or below a note?
- It means "staccato"- to play the note quickly.
- What does a slur do?
- Connects notes of a DIFFERENT pitch
- What does forte (f) mean?
- What does piano (p) mean?
- What is a whole step?
- two half steps (skip a key)
- What is a half step?
- the distance from one key to the very next key
- What does legato mean?
- to play in a smooth and connected manner
- What is a scale?
- pitches arranged in alphabetical order, beginning from any one of the seven musical letters
- What is a major scale?
- a scale made up of whole and half steps used in this order:
- What is a key signature?
- a sharp or flat placed after the clef sign on each staff to tell the tone (pitch) center
You must Login or Register to add cards