Glossary of Mounce Grammar from Chapters 1 through 4
Other Decks By This User
- What are the lower case Greek letters in order?
- α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω
- What are the seven common diphthongs?
- αι ει οι υι αυ ευ ου
- What are the short and long forms of the English "a" sound?
- α α
- What are the short and long forms of the Englis "e" sound?
- ε η
- What are the short and long forms of the English "i" sound?
- ι ι
- What are the short and long forms of the English "o" sound?
- ο ω
- What are the short and long forms of the English "u" sound?
- υ υ
- What is the rough breathing mark? (with alpha)
- What is the smooth breathing mark? (with alpha)
- What is the acute accent mark? (with alpha)
- What is the circumflex accent? (with alpha)
- What is the grave accent? (with alpha)
- When iota is written below another letter and it does not affect the pronunciation of that letter (such as ᾳ, ῃ, ῳ) it is called what?
- iota subscript
- What is the name of the diacritical mark that indicates two adjacent vowels are pronounced separately?
- What are the two forms of sigma and when are they used?
- "ς" is used at the end of a sentence and "σ" is used everywhere else.
- When a word begins with __ or __ the breathing mark is always rough.
- υ ρ
- A breathing mark is always present when a word begins with which letters?
- a vowel or rho
- When is the diaeresis used?
- It is used over the second of two vowels in a pair that normally form a diphthong when they should be pronounced separately.
- What is a gamma nasal and how is it pronounced?
- the letter gamma (γ) followed by gamma (γ), kappa (κ), xsi (ξ), or chi (χ) -- the gamma is pronounced as an English "n" (γγ becomes "ng", γκ becomes "nk", γξ becomes "nks", and γχ becomes "nch")
- What are the improper diphthongs?
- ᾳ ῃ ῳ
- What is elision?
- Certain words that end in a vowel substitute an apostrophe for the final vowel when followed by a word that begins with a vowel.
- What are the uppercase letters?
- Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω
- What is the Greek semicolon? (with alpha)
- What is the Greek comma? (with alpha)
- What is the Greek period? (with alpha)
- What is the Greek question mark? (with alpha)
You must Login or Register to add cards