Glossary of Molecular and Cellular Biology
Other Decks By This User
- Smallest Unit of an element. Positively Charged Nucleus, Negatively Charged Cloud
- Smallest particle of a substance, composed of 2 or more atoms.
- Chemical Bond
- Any of several forces or mechanisms; Ionic, Covalent, and metallic bond. Atoms or ions are bound in a molecule.
- Elec Neutral subatomic prat...stable in a nucleus
- Stable Positive subatomic part...
- Stable subatomic partical mass 9,1066e-28 grams 1.6e-19 coulombs charge
- Atomic Number
- Number of protons in an atomic nucleus
- mic number but different atomic mass
- Spontaneous emission of radiation, either by directly from unstable nuclei or by nuclear reaction.
- Covalent bond
- chemical bond formed by sharing of one or more elections, usually pairs, between atoms
- Ionic bond
- Chemical bond between two ions with opposite charges
- Hydrogen bond
- Chemical bond where hydrogen atom of one molecule is attracted to an electronegative atom, O,N,F of another molecule
- Used to measure acidity of a solution (0-14) 7 neutral.
- Amino Acids
- Organic compound amino group and carboxylic acid group, mainly the 20 in DNA
- Complex organic macromolecules that contain C, H, O, N and S and are of one or more chains of Amino Acids, are neces for proper organ function
- Various compounds consisting of a nucleoside combined with a phosphate group forming constituents of DNA and RNA
- Nucleic acids
- Grp of complex compounds found in all living cells and in DNA and RNA control cellular function and heredity
- deals with the relationships and conversions between heat and other forms of energy
- phase of metabolism in which simple substances are synthesized into the complex materials of living tissues
- metabolic breakdown of complex molecules into simpler ones often results in release of energy
- Endergonic (Endergomic)
- Requiring energy
- Releasing energy
- proteins or conjugated proteins produced by organisms and functioning as biochem catalysts
- nonproteinaceous organic substance contains vitamin or mineral and combines with a protein to form active enzyme system (Coenzyme-A)
- carbohydrates are synthesized from carbon dioxide and water using light as energy, most release O2 as byproduct
- Cellular Respiration
- series of metabolic processes by which living cells produce energy through the oxidation of organic substances
- Living or occurring only in the presence of oxygen
- can live in the absence of atmospheric oxygen (organism usually bacteria)
You must Login or Register to add cards